How can A&E waiting time be made shorter?

Go and sit in the sheff n.g.h for half an hour ./ Try not to fall asleep like some of them ./ Ask some what they have come for then make your own mind up ./ :hihi:

Your impression is only of the waiting room in the adult A&E. That is a small part of the NHS hospital provision in Sheffield.

I would find it very unlikely that people with coughs and colds will move on to the 2000+ beds in the wards of the NGH and RHH.

Those people will have a genuine reason to be in there.

Your impression is only of the waiting room in the adult A&E. That is a small part of the NHS hospital provision in Sheffield.

I would find it very unlikely that people with coughs and colds will move on to the 2000+ beds in the wards of the NGH and RHH.

Those people will have a genuine reason to be in there.

Do you know what the thread is on about / Dont complicate every thing ./:loopy:

To be fair, after the recent abuse scandals that called into question staffing numbers, nurse numbers have improved and hospitals are recruiting more.

It is NOT about "throwing money at it", it needs restructuring and getting rid of the "non-jobs" and Managers who are not medically trained and are there purely for administration.

Earlier this year I went to my local A&E passing blood and in pain. They kept me waiting four hours (no Doctor spoke to me) and then transferred be to another hospital. Unbelievable!:confused:

A & E is most certainly busier at certain times of the day/week.

My 83 yr old mum has been to A & E at NGH several times over the past year, each time a genuine emergency, and she has been dealt with swiftly and efficiently. Hardly any waiting time. Mainly early in the morning, about 8am, but she was once re-admitted on a Sat afternoon.

After initial assessment, tests, xrays, more tests, within 3-4 hours, she has been given a bed on a ward. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the brilliant job all the staff there do.

However, it might be a very different story if it were a busier time ... I'm thinking Fri or Sat nights.

The biggest problem with A&E is drunks, always has been and don't see the problem easing anytime soon. Now if they just went in, said I'm drunk and have fallen over and sprained my wrist (In other words, I would be fine to wait until Monday morning to see my GP) then that would be fine, but the majority of the time wasters and drains on society do this as a means of entertainment every weekend and have become quite professional at it and therefore know what to say when asked which means they are put on the waiting list and sometimes even quite high up the pecking order when in fact there are genuine injuries that deserve much higher priority.

IMO if the triage nurse sees you the moment you book in and were a lot more thorough, then this could be abolished or at least minimised.

One of the problems is the fact that lots of people are not registered with a GP. They then use A/E as a GP surgery. More people need to be turned away before they get into the waiting room if their illness is trivial.

the waiting times to see a nurse or doctor in A & E is through time wasters going to hospital with minor injuries, headache, sore throats, to much to drink, feeling sick and so on. these types of ailments should be treated by there GP, and not hospitals I also think that most people who go to hospital along with asylum seeker's, illegals. should be made to pay a fee like £60.00 the same as motorists, get for exceeding the speed limit's, if the doctors and nurses think they could have been treated by their GP or walk in clinics should go there first, and if their GP thinks their patients need to be referred to hospital, that's the time to go not for feeling sick so think twice before going tal and waiting up to 4 or 5 hours in a cold waiting room till you freeze to death sorry if this upsets some people but I am right

How many managers did you see?

Did you find out what they were doing?

You won't see any managers. They will most likely be desk bound in office hours.

It is NOT about "throwing money at it", it needs restructuring and getting rid of the "non-jobs" and Managers who are not medically trained and are there purely for administration.

Earlier this year I went to my local A&E passing blood and in pain. They kept me waiting four hours (no Doctor spoke to me) and then transferred be to another hospital. Unbelievable!:confused:

How do you expect one of the worlds biggest organisations with a budget of over a hundred billion pounds a year to be able to run itself without administration staff? For example who would be responsible human resources?

How do you expect one of the worlds biggest organisations with a budget of over a hundred billion pounds a year to be able to run itself without administration staff? For example who would be responsible human resources?

I didn't say they don't need them, just that I think there are too many of them.

I didn't say they don't need them, just that I think there are too many of them.

I wasn't replying to your post.

I will shortly.

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 16:04 ----------

You won't see any managers. They will most likely be desk bound in office hours.

A lot of people who are managers in the NHS, are actually clinical staff who've progressed through their career.