How can A&E waiting time be made shorter?

Just some back of the envelope ideas, (all no doubt with problems, it's a case of which of them can be solved most easily...)

GPs surgeries to stay open evenings and weekends.

Funding for it? It's a good idea but will be expensive

Drop in centres to include minor emergency treatments.

They already do - that's rather the point of them

Paddy wagons out in force at the weekends to lock up drunks

They already are for the drunk and incapable.

Ambulances able to deal with minor emergency treatments in situ.

That ties up a valuable resource for far too long doing something it's not designed to do.

A&E to be for ambulance/ambulance-car admissions only except in exceptional cases.

So you will just increase the demand for an ambulance markedly....

Longer term, I'd like to see GP units with more diagnostic tools, like ultrasound and x-ray facilities. (Anyone remember the old x-ray vans that used to go round to firms to do chest Xrays? Do they still do that anymore?)

Not really cost effective to provide them all with expensive kit that only gets used occassionally. Put them in places where they will run close to maximum utilisation like a dropin or ED

Just some back of the envelope ideas, (all no doubt with problems, it's a case of which of them can be solved most easily...)

GPs surgeries to stay open evenings and weekends.

Drop in centres to include minor emergency treatments.

Paddy wagons out in force at the weekends to lock up drunks

Ambulances able to deal with minor emergency treatments in situ.

A&E to be for ambulance/ambulance-car admissions only except in exceptional cases.

Longer term, I'd like to see GP units with more diagnostic tools, like ultrasound and x-ray facilities. (Anyone remember the old x-ray vans that used to go round to firms to do chest Xrays? Do they still do that anymore?)

1. Some are doing this but itd epends on the individual surgeries who manage themslevee.

2. Thats what Minor Injuries is for!

3. Its not the 1920's! And where will all these drunks go? Who will pay for it? What happens when they genuinley need hospital care?

4. Patients are assessed on the roadside. If a patients wants to go to hospital the Ambulance is obliged to take them. Its works the other way as well.

5. Completely stupid! People will just ring 999 for everything!

:hihi:

£10 is a token gesture not a hurtfull amount .But it would stop the malingerers out who will sit there all day for nothing :hihi: A lot are regulars seem to like nurses :hihi: once went to the a/e in rotherham and heard one goes in every day ./ May be they were feeding him

It just would not stop at £10 though would it. It would be a hundred before too long and well on the way to privatisation once that started,and then it would be,o'h,you are a couple of pounds over your ideal weight so you'll have to pay,and as for you,getting knocked off your bike when we told you what a dangerous place that was. And so on.

It just would not stop at £10 though would it. It would be a hundred before too long and well on the way to privatisation once that started,and then it would be,o'h,you are a couple of pounds over your ideal weight so you'll have to pay,and as for you,getting knocked off your bike when we told you what a dangerous place that was. And so on.

They are at the moment running a thread on forum./ are sheffielders the tighest people in britain ./ Put you on the list then no no im not going to pay rather wait 4 hrs . You go abroad for your holidays run a car e.t.c so if thats how you want it so be it. Dont moan next time you go to A/E cant pay wont pay :huh:

They are at the moment running a thread on forum./ are sheffielders the tighest people in britain ./ Put you on the list then no no im not going to pay rather wait 4 hrs . You go abroad for your holidays run a car e.t.c so if thats how you want it so be it. Dont moan next time you go to A/E cant pay wont pay :huh:

It's not the amount of money. It's the principle of healthcare being free at the point of use. Once we do away with that principle we are on a very slippery slope.

It's not the amount of money. It's the principle of healthcare being free at the point of use. Once we do away with that principle we are on a very slippery slope.

Correct, the system just needs constructive reviewing to make it more efficient for everyone.

Correct, the system just needs constructive reviewing to make it more efficient for everyone.

As with any big organisation there will always be ways to work more efficiently, but when you talk of of an inefficient health service you have to look at the context. This being, how much we as a country pay towards our health service compared to other countries, and what we expect from it.

I think that when you put it in this context, the NHS performs well when you consider the funding that it receives.

Put you on the list then ./ Put it another way if you had been waiting 3 hrs and some one came in and pad £10 and got seen straight away you wouldnt mind then . If there were 40 in the room and 20 objected they would be the genuine cases ./ the other 20 would be time wasters. and shouldnt be there. Can here you shouting now no its my turn next and i dont want to pay and im not waiting any longer behind that lot as they are not genuine . Ive got principals and not paying that lot havnt :hihi::hihi:

Put you on the list then ./ Put it another way if you had been waiting 3 hrs and some one came in and pad £10 and got seen straight away you wouldnt mind then . If there were 40 in the room and 20 objected they would be the genuine cases ./ the other 20 would be time wasters. and shouldnt be there. Can here you shouting now no its my turn next and i dont want to pay and im not waiting any longer behind that lot as they are not genuine . Ive got principals and not paying that lot havnt :hihi::hihi:

Do you know what. I understand that in A&E you are not seen on a first come first served basis, you are seen in order of clinical need. I really hope that I'm never in the situation where I'm needing an "urgent review" in A&E.

So you will never here me shouting that it is my turn to be seen.

Do you know what. I understand that in A&E you are not seen on a first come first served basis, you are seen in order of clinical need. I really hope that I'm never in the situation where I'm needing an "urgent review" in A&E.

So you will never here me shouting that it is my turn to be seen.

So you woudnt mind mind then ./ Good just sit there fuming :hihi::hihi:

So you woudnt mind mind then ./ Good just sit there fuming :hihi::hihi:

I wouldn't be fuming, because it'll never happen, people will always be treated based upon their clinical need. As all right thinking people believe that it should be.

I wouldn't be fuming, because it'll never happen, people will always be treated based upon their clinical need. As all right thinking people believe that it should be.

So you think every one there is a genuine case for A/E. / Good grief youve led a sheltered life. :hihi: