How can A&E waiting time be made shorter?

It's a shame they had to shut the A&E at the Hallamshire Hospital. I've always thought the '7 extra minutes' it's supposed to take to get across town to the Northern General was wildly optimistic, particularly in the rush hour.

Incidently, I've also used the drop in centre (surgery) at Broad Lane and had to wait over 2 hours, only to be redirected to the Northern General and another wait.

But at least we got it sorted eventually....

First hope your daughter is ok second it's all the cut back some times it's over four hours

Re bold:

What cuts exactly?

The NHS budget has not been cut. Economists are suggesting in the next decade it will need to be increased beyond the rate of inflation to cover a growing population and rising drug costs, but that isn't a cut either.

The NHS is being forced to keep a lid on it's traditionally out of control budgeting, so if they want to spend more money on some things they have to find savings in another, something that sprawling public sector organisations are notoriously bad at.

A few days ago I felt that I had to rant,FAIRNESS TO SOCIETY,based upon similar to your hospital event.A smart a** did not take it serious,but when you have a situation that you encountered really there should be more done for people deemed as an emergency.

As the "smart a**" you referred to (hi there), I can't take any rant seriously that is based on a probably-exaggerated one-sided story in our local rag.

In all honesty, I doubt the Sheffield Star did either.

Still, it sold them another paper (more fool you)

---------- Post added 22-11-2014 at 17:25 ----------

It's a shame they had to shut the A&E at the Hallamshire Hospital. I've always thought the '7 extra minutes' it's supposed to take to get across town to the Northern General was wildly optimistic, particularly in the rush hour.

They'll make it in seven minutes, don't worry.

The ambulances don't have to queue up the Netherthorpe or Rutland Roads, unlike the rest of us plebs.

NEE NAW NEE NAW, WOOOH WOOOOH WOOOH, BEEEP BEEEP!

Sometimes I wonder, is it REALLY an emergency, or is it that the paramedics just don't like queuing? :huh:

Edited by The Joker

If the Government did more about collecting taxes from firms such as Vodaphone, the NHS problem would ease.

Last night I took my daughter to A&E at the northern general as she is now 16 and can't go to the children's. I was disgusted to find that the waiting time to see a doctor was three and a half hours! I saw three reception booths but only one assessment nurse! why in this day and age is there not enough staff to make this experience more efficient? How can things be made better?

Surely health care should be a priority?

What can I/we do to make change?

Because the people who are running the show are not doing a great job in my opinion, this post is not a dig at the nurses, doctors or any of the staff, it's a dig at the system because at the moment it stinks!

How can it be made better? is what I'm after.

Hope DD ok Andy xx I had this last week had to take my daughter, just 16, to A&E at Northern, she has had quite serious mental health problems over last 12 months and previously only been to Childrens A&E. 11 HOURS!! we were in A&E from start to finnish :(( horrendous, horrific experience, they are too old for childrens but at 16 very young for how your treat at Northern :(( xx

Hope DD ok Andy xx I had this last week had to take my daughter, just 16, to A&E at Northern, she has had quite serious mental health problems over last 12 months and previously only been to Childrens A&E. 11 HOURS!! we were in A&E from start to finnish :(( horrendous, horrific experience, they are too old for childrens but at 16 very young for how your treat at Northern :(( xx

Mate I felt the same, didn't feel right in there even though she is 16, I was spitting feathers. The system needs looking at sharpish!

Re bold:

What cuts exactly?

The NHS budget has not been cut. .

Yes it has. NHS workers have had their cost of living pay increment cancelled. Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has refused to meet with representatives even though they can tell them how to save money on the wages bill by setting on more permanent staff instead of paying a fortune for agency workers.

The official independent pay commission recommended a small pay increment but the government have refused and told them to not meet next year at all.

Meanwhile Millionaire Jeremy hunt is about to receive an 11% pay rise.

Yes it has. NHS workers have had their cost of living pay increment cancelled. Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has refused to meet with representatives even though they can tell them how to save money on the wages bill by setting on more permanent staff instead of paying a fortune for agency workers.

The official independent pay commission recommended a small pay increment but the government have refused and told them to not meet next year at all.

Meanwhile Millionaire Jeremy hunt is about to receive an 11% pay rise.

That isn't a cut to the budget though is it, that is just a refusal to increase the current budget beyond what it currently pays for.

How a hospital manages it's budget regarding the employment of agency workers compared to full time workers is the responsibility of the trust management, not the Health Secretary.

If we stand together and stand tall surely we can demand more facilities, more staff - less waiting time! Someone out there with more brains than me can get this going?

If we stand together and stand tall surely we can demand more facilities, more staff - less waiting time! Someone out there with more brains than me can get this going?

Add an extra 5% on VAT, 10p on fuel and a significant jump in income tax and NI and all that could be yours! The French have a very good health service as I understand it. Ask one of our french chums how much they pay for it.

I'm sure we could cut back in other areas, I'm positive we could. We also seem to find plenty of money to send abroad! How's that work?

It seems to me that that so many people have joined in this communication have some great ,valid points .Unless I have missed it ,there does not appear to be any that is really slagging the NHS off but in fact understand that there are certain circumstances that contribute to problems of waiting time.Its funny how so many opinions on SF have ideas on making improvements, yet people running the show fail to see the obvious,or is Sheffield opinion so far out of kilty with reality and the rest of the planet.

Regarding a previous comment about seeing nursing staff sat about writing.I daresay it is down to the fact that notes have to be made ,and made accurately.Don`t forget ,"where there is blame there is a claim" Sadly there are too many ambulance chasers waiting for a human error