Curzon cinema, George Street

Oh dear, sounds poor.

I wonder if the drinks are limited in range to DETER non-filmgoing drinkers? The Showroom is very much a bar destination in itself.

Even the bar attached to the roof top balcony is small and limited and the path up to it integrated with all the cinemas, it's not going to be a destination for drinkers, but they could at least have bottled Ale as well as foreign fizz.

Anyone else been yet and have a view? I've still not been again since my initial look round. I wish the bars were worth the effort in themselves but they're not.

I wonder how many of the thousands who walk past the High St/George St junction each day even know it's there. They don't seem to have done much promotion (apart from the Telegraph piece). I'd like it to succeed but it can't be doing that well. Early days I guess though.

I went last week to see Birdman. The building and decor are lovely but it was over £14 for a wine and a cider. I was expecting something more like the Dominion cinema in Edinburgh with proper lazy boy reclining chairs or sofas etc. The seats do recline a bit but they are quite cramped and there is nowhere to put a drink. There were only 4 other people in our screen but not sure I'd want to go when it's full due to how box like it felt.

Think I'll stick to the projector at home for a more comfy experience with a screen of the same size.

Overall verdict: nice place, I prefer showroom, expensive drinks. Roof terrace could be nice in summer.

Visited The Curzon for the first time last night - fairly quiet for an early Sat evening 6-30pm but a lovely place & a unique cinema experience for Sheffield

The staff were friendly & polite - we had a couple of Lattes to take in the screening (£2-50 so no different to Cafe Nero or Starbucks) although agree with previous comments about lack of drinks holders in seats (nice reclining feature tho)

The projection & particularly the sound were exceptional compared to any other cinema in the city. The foyer/ bar decor is like a 4star hotel not the rammed chaos of Cineworld or the scruffy Odeon. I have used Showroom & prefer that to any of the cinema chains but they may have to up their game a bit to match the Curzon. I was more than happy to pay a bit more for a much more pleasant very high quality cinema experience.

I was more than happy to pay a bit more for a much more pleasant very high quality cinema experience.

But, as you say, it was fairly quiet on a Saturday night, so the evidence so far is not many people are happy to pay a bit more for that experience. Maybe not enough to keep it open.

They are not exactly on a thoroughfare, unless you include folk being ejected via the back door of the Mulberry - hardly inclined towards cinema going, I'd suggest.

They need to compete with the chains and put on "diffrerent" films. But of course they are themselves part of a chain, so there's the rub.

If they put on Audition, or Tokyo Decadence.....well, now you're talking.:hihi:

Looks like they're starting defensive tactics against The Showroom.

http://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/cinema/forcemajeure-note-customers

I can only see one winner from that, which is a shame because I think the Showroom would happily have a decent relationship with the other 'indie' cinemas.

I really don't think they've done their market research.

Charging double the price of the beloved and popular Showroom, and making people walk down some dark, urine-smelling, tramp-lined alley to get to it.

They'd've been better doing something a bit different - setting up in Nether Edge or the old cinema on Abbeydale Road (i.e leafier and with plentiful parking). Being like a Penistone Paramount but for south/west Sheffield. A Lantern Theatre to the Showroom's Crucible

I really don't think they've done their market research.

Charging double the price of the beloved and popular Showroom, and making people walk down some dark, urine-smelling, tramp-lined alley to get to it.

They'd've been better doing something a bit different - setting up in Nether Edge or the old cinema on Abbeydale Road (i.e leafier and with plentiful parking). Being like a Penistone Paramount but for south/west Sheffield. A Lantern Theatre to the Showroom's Crucible

Well it would be great to see someone do something with the beloved AbbeyDale cinema - however parking on Abbeydale road are you joking ? though there is parking behind it .... I thought Michael Palin and Peter Stringfellow were buying it to convert it anyway ?

The Abbeydale picture house was purchased 3 years ago with plans to convert it for community use, it's used occasionally for antiques markets and other events.

The main room would be too big for the modern boutique cinema that Curzon are going for the screen rooms are small so an old style threatre which once held 1,500 people is pretty useless to them.

The Curzon building is perfect but the route in isn't exactly urban chic, I'm not sure it would work in Nether Edge but there are plenty of better locations nearby Canada House, Castle House or even the old Town Hall / Court House while they aren't exactly on the high street at least the approach doesn't smell of urine. Perhaps if they paid for George Street and it's approaches to be lit properly this wouldn't be a problem...

Perhaps if they paid for George Street and it's approaches to be lit properly this wouldn't be a problem...

They could also do with red neon signs with big arrows at both ends of George Street. Most visitors to the city would never know it was there. I imagine a lot of residents still don't.

I agree with most of what Dan_Ashcroft said, it doesn't seem well thought through (especially the price and the locals' propensity for fiscal perspicaciousness). However, I watched a movie at the Curzon on Sunday and thought it was an excellent experience! I'm a big fan of the Showroom and will continue to be, but surely a city the size of Sheffield can can cope with two art cinemas.

I for one will visit both - probably means that I'll go to the movies more often, but that's no bad thing!