Curzon cinema, George Street

So how much is a ticket???!!! :o

Re: Curzon cinema, George Street

So how much is a ticket???!!!

I am loath to say, as it will probably start a tirade of abuse against the company, but it's £11.50 peak adult and £8.50 off peak adult, though £9 and £7.50 for members.

Curzon's business model assumes that a certain number of people will happily pay a little extra for a considerably more pleasant experience in a small intimate venue inside a nice old building.

Something like this would go down a storm in Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Bristol etc.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not at all sure that they understand the "Sheffield demographic".

I went on Friday and really liked it. Happy to pay a bit more for the quality / atmosphere of the venue. They really need to get some decent beers in though. All I could see at the bar was bottles of Peroni.

Curzon's business model assumes that a certain number of people will happily pay a little extra for a considerably more pleasant experience in a small intimate venue inside a nice old building.

Something like this would go down a storm in Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Bristol etc.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not at all sure that they understand the "Sheffield demographic".

How many of these places have a independent cinema venue of the quality of The Showroom already? I wouldn't put it just down to the Sheffield demographic if this fails, The Showroom while not the lap of luxury is fairly high standard, good bar serving real ale and good food, it's not your typical multiplex with Frank & Bennie's and McDonalds attached. Yes there is the odd rough edge and the building isn't exactly beautiful but Curzon may be biting off a little more than they can chew with regards pricing, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm thinking of visiting myself for their "Curzon curates" showing of The Drop.

Greg Dyke has just bought the George hotel on there to go along with two others that he owns in Sheffield, maybe there are plans for an up market leisure experience in the area.

I went along tonight the projection and sound is excellent, the carpet is snazzy and the furnishing good quality but the beer is expensive and the selection is poor. I'm not sure I could justify the extra when compared to visiting the Showroom on a regular basis so I standby my original comments, they need to show films that the Showroom doesn't to justify the price. I hope they do survive and flourish it could be a great venue.

..but whats the seating like? are they the reclining/rocking chairs?

I prefer to go to cineworld, but the chairs are bit behind the times in terms of what I used to get in the States. I went to a specific theatre back home because they had the oversized chairs and small rooms.

I love what the Showroom show, but their seating is horrid and uncomfortable for more than 75 mins.

..but whats the seating like? are they the reclining/rocking chairs?

I prefer to go to cineworld, but the chairs are bit behind the times in terms of what I used to get in the States. I went to a specific theatre back home because they had the oversized chairs and small rooms.

I love what the Showroom show, but their seating is horrid and uncomfortable for more than 75 mins.

The seating at Curzon is reclining and has a bit more leg room. This didn't make it more comfortable for me if anything it made me fiddle with my seat, I don't mind the seating at the Showroom.

Thanks for that... :)

Whenever I got to the showroom, my knees are digging into the back of the person in front of me. I'm not that leggy either (5'6 or so?) so not very comfy for long films

What's the point, its just another showroom. The movie listings are exactly the same. I predict a failure.

Even eight pounds at the Showroom, is a lot, but 11.50?, we seem to be creating a new cultural division in the U.K. I don't remember such high prices even allowing for price inflation in the 80's. if anyone remembers Dave Godin (started Motown in the UK) who ran the Anvil Cinema, he warned of how culture would become the preserve of the wealthy.