Curzon cinema, George Street

Museums are still free and a tiny cinema with huge over heads is charging a couple of quid more per film. Also classical CDs are cheap as chips.

I think Mr Godin was wide of the mark.

The internet has allowed legal low cost "on-demand" services and other services of dubious legality to replace the cinema. Fewer and fewer people are going to the cinema so those that do especially for niche films in a luxury settings are going to have to stump up. Culture is alive and well it's just in beamed straight to your smart device there's no need to go to a particular place at a particular time anymore.

I would like to try it out but when same film is 12 quid there and 8.10 at showroom its hard to go - what extra are we paying for, the higher rent in this part of town ?

I do wish it success but there are so many old large buildings in centre of sheffield not used that the council could well make better use of to stimulate industry and jobs and life in the centre.

At least the fact that this building is now being used for a business venture as opposed to abandoned is a start I suppose !

How many of these places have a independent cinema venue of the quality of The Showroom already? I wouldn't put it just down to the Sheffield demographic if this fails, The Showroom while not the lap of luxury is fairly high standard, good bar serving real ale and good food, it's not your typical multiplex with Frank & Bennie's and McDonalds attached. Yes there is the odd rough edge and the building isn't exactly beautiful but Curzon may be biting off a little more than they can chew with regards pricing, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm thinking of visiting myself for their "Curzon curates" showing of The Drop.

Saw the Drop at the weekend in the comfort of my own home for the price of four bottles from the supermarket. Outstanding value and a decent film

I agree with Roger123W - it's difficult to see what the market for the Curzon is, given its significantly higher prices. There's already the Odeon (as an alternative for those who don't want to go out to Cineworld) and the Showrooom, conveniently right next to the train station.

I don't think the Showroom's expensive. I think it offers amazing value for money, particularly with its membership scheme and especially for students. As a student member, I rarely pay more than £4 and there are plenty of special offers even for non-students and non-members. The meal for two / wine / film deal for about £30 is a pretty cheap night out, and the "Best of 2014" season (to give one example) was only £5 general admission. Plus the staff are always friendly and what's not to like about a cinema that sells decent beer and lets you take it in with you?! Equating going to the cinema to watching something off Netflix is like comparing a takeaway to a meal in a restaurant - there's nothing wrong with either, but you're paying for something different when you have a meal out or watch a film at the cinema.

I used to live in Edinburgh not so long ago, where we had the Cameo and Filmhouse not far from each other. Complemented each other very well. No reason why it shouldn't survive alongside the Showroom, but given the prices and reported lack of decent beer I'm picking the Showroom for Birdman this evening.

Also, the membership prices seem a bit steep. £50 for a couple of free films and 15% off the rest means you need to be visiting pretty regular to get value out of it. They seem to be relying on curiosity and word of mouth rather than introductory offers to entice people in. Which is fine, as long as word of mouth says it's worth going.

Saw the Drop at the weekend in the comfort of my own home for the price of four bottles from the supermarket. Outstanding value and a decent film

Nice, do you have a 4k wall length projector and 7.1 surround sound at home?

Well me and my dog went in the other evening for a coffee and I must say the cafe/bar is very very nice and very plush , lovely surroundings , they did the makeover well.. Its a different experience really from other cinemas so you cant compare , I think its well worth the few quid more , it is like a meal out compared to a takeaway :-) :love::D

Nice, do you have a 4k wall length projector and 7.1 surround sound at home?

Not until I get rid of the Mrs, no!

But its not really a film that requires the full cinema experience......

'71 on the other hand needs the full Showroom/Curzon treatment, as is Whiplash

Edited by Jolstano

Not until I get rid of the Mrs, no!

But its not really a film that requires the full cinema experience......

'71 on the other hand needs the full Showroom/Curzon treatment, as is Whiplash

The sound of the gunshot at the end was pretty shocking in the theatre, I wouldn't have got that at home. I plumped for the drop just out of the principle that given the price and the lineup I'm only going to the Curzon for special events.

Went on Sunday night, booked online and due to "website snags" ended up with an extra ticket for Monday.

Girl on the front desk couldn't help, printed off the ticket for Monday along with the ones we needed for that night, thus "validating my website purchase"! She advised I call the helpline...automated bull**** service of no help whatsoever.

So..11.50 + 11.50 + 8.50 for 2 tickets, overpriced berr and coffee from incredibly limited selection, nothing of note in the way of snacks, sound quality a little poor for me, general air of pretention.

Verdict. "Showroom next time eh?" , "Aye."

Went on Sunday night, booked online and due to "website snags" ended up with an extra ticket for Monday.

Girl on the front desk couldn't help, printed off the ticket for Monday along with the ones we needed for that night, thus "validating my website purchase"! She advised I call the helpline...automated bull**** service of no help whatsoever.

So..11.50 + 11.50 + 8.50 for 2 tickets, overpriced berr and coffee from incredibly limited selection, nothing of note in the way of snacks, sound quality a little poor for me, general air of pretention.

Verdict. "Showroom next time eh?" , "Aye."

Oh dear, sounds poor.

I wonder if the drinks are limited in range to DETER non-filmgoing drinkers? The Showroom is very much a bar destination in itself.