Sheffield Half Marathon now open for entries

Said 2014 would be my last, but if John Burkhil's giving it a go I can't miss out. Bound to get a course PB at least and nice to get a fresh start. With hindsight this is what should have happened when DVS was demolished for this year.

Does anyone have a map of the route please? I can't work out the Norfolk Arms bit.

Also, does anyone know if the junior fun run starts around the same time? Ideally I'd like to do the half and then the fun run with my daughter but I'm doubting that's possible.

For route, go here, and click on 'route' link at the bottom of page:

http://theyorkshiremarathon.com/events/plusnet-yorkshire-half-marathon-–-sheffield/

Note, it shows the route profile too. Also, image for route can be seen here:

http://theyorkshiremarathon.com/media/37255/route_map.jpg

It does sound good. Not what I`d hoped for but certainly different. Personally, I`m thinking of targeting Manchester marathon but it`s too close to this one to do both so Sheff HM will be my fall back. Also it is expensive but I do expect that it`ll be better value than the previous one was.

OK, any advice for a 1/2 newbie?

I'm not a regular runner but did the BUPA 10k in 2009 during a weight loss programme. I've lost quite a bit more since and have always wanted to do the Sheffield half.

Looking at their 16 week programme and have recently kicked off a couch to 10k programme again just to get me back into it. I am pretty active, just way behind on running. 5 months away so should give me adequate time to get myself properly trained.

OK, any advice for a 1/2 newbie?

I'm not a regular runner but did the BUPA 10k in 2009 during a weight loss programme. I've lost quite a bit more since and have always wanted to do the Sheffield half.

Looking at their 16 week programme and have recently kicked off a couch to 10k programme again just to get me back into it. I am pretty active, just way behind on running. 5 months away so should give me adequate time to get myself properly trained.

If you have a plan - stick to it.

The golden rule (for me) is that you gotta do 10 miles (TEN) 1 month before at least once. Race pace, race kit,food & drink etc so comfortable you can go do the supermarket run afterwards.

Good luck

Just one word of advice for anybody looking to recce the course. Sheephill road is pretty dangerous - a few unsighted bends, busy on weekends, quite narrow and no pavement. Ran it a couple of times and wouldn't again though obviously on race day it should be closed so will be ok.

For recce probably best to cut back through woods in the Limb Valley or down Long Line which itself can be busy and has no pavement but is totally straight with traffic in both directions always visible.

Just one word of advice for anybody looking to recce the course. Sheephill road is pretty dangerous - a few unsighted bends, busy on weekends, quite narrow and no pavement. Ran it a couple of times and wouldn't again though obviously on race day it should be closed so will be ok.

For recce probably best to cut back through woods in the Limb Valley or down Long Line which itself can be busy and has no pavement but is totally straight with traffic in both directions always visible.

I would totally agree with this - Sheephill Road forms part of my regular run and can be a bit tricky at times. Stick to the right hand side of the road - there is enough grass verge for you to step into if there's oncoming traffic and one particular bend that i always stop running for, get on the grass verge and walk carefully round.

Thanks for the advice on Sheephill road. Was tempted to do a trial run of the course, say from (and back to) Hunters Bar roundabout (I guess about 9 miles). Bit concerned about traffic really...