Worst Road Surface In Sheffield??

Don't moan on here, get on to the Council/City Engineer/local Councillor for your ward. Shout and keep on shouting and get all the people that you know live in that area create a fuss. Don't give up, keep on creating a shout. I did this in Rotherham and got results. I also got a result from Sheffield Highways about the verges being overgrown on Parkway slip roads obscuring vision when crossing the road at the bottom of the one past Hansdworth. Sorry to be so longwinded.

There is no point in Sheffield though as Amey are already working flat-out to resurface the whole city.

The problem is the order they are doing it is all over the place.

They have a map showing when each area is going to be started, but the thing is they start, do a few small roads then move onto elsewhere. Rather than what people expected where they start an area and finish it before moving onto the next.

Less worn roads end up getting done first, the worst roads are being pushed to the end of the scheme in 2020. No doubt they will claim they ran out of money before then.

This is what always happen with a big government scheme where they have to hire the cheapest contractor with not enough money to do it right.

There is no point in Sheffield though as Amey are already working flat-out to resurface the whole city.

They have a map showing when each area is going to be started, but the thing is they start, do a few small roads then move onto elsewhere. Rather than what people expected where they start an area and finish it before moving onto the next.

Less worn roads end up getting done first, the worst roads are being pushed to the end of the scheme in 2020. No doubt they will claim they ran out of money before then.

This is what always happen with a big government scheme where they have to hire the cheapest contractor with not enough money to do it right.

I was going to ask that question. Bearing in mind all the delays and pauses in work, does any think Amey will be around to finish the job?

It was made clear from the start that roads would be done to fit around any planned utility works so that roads were not resurfaced only to be dug up again straight away by some water or electric company carrying out planned upgrades. This makes complete sense and is the best way of doing it, even if it means one road getting done a while before an adjacent one. I would also expect priority (e.g. ambulance) routes to be done first.

It was made clear from the start that roads would be done to fit around any planned utility works so that roads were not resurfaced only to be dug up again straight away by some water or electric company carrying out planned upgrades. This makes complete sense and is the best way of doing it, even if it means one road getting done a while before an adjacent one. I would also expect priority (e.g. ambulance) routes to be done first.

Ha!

On our street, they did the pavements about 18 months ago, then they did the streetlamps (about 2 weeks ago) DIGGING UP THE AFORE MENTIONED PAVEMENTS to put power cables in, and the road (a main bus/fire/ambulance/police/heavy haulage route) hasn't even been touched!

Also the side roads to that route have been done (except the ones previously covered with the old concrete sections). why???

My theory is, Amey have an absolute date after which they quit maintaining the roads, SO... If they do the most heavily trafficked routes last, then they will have to maintain them for the shortest time, THIS is why they are leaving major routes to rot, whilst doing trivial things first.

Someone should have made it (say) 20 years after INSTALLATION, and not (say) 20 years after the contract ends.

deffo Deerlands Avenue and Hartley Brook Road.

end of the scheme 2020 . im sure I read the other day that all the roads would be completed by 2017

I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in here about Commonside/School Road (probably by me)

but has anyone seen what they've done to it?

:hihi::hihi:

(I couldn't work out whether it was an improvement or not (or a joke!) - it's like a half job, done half-heartedly, with so little thought, that it makes me wonder whether it was actually an accident - the tarmac truck spilled some of its loads on there, and a few cars squashed bits of it down)

end of the scheme 2020 . im sure I read the other day that all the roads would be completed by 2017

Apparently:

The majority of the work will take place in the first 5 years (2012 - 2017) of a 25 year contract where we will be upgrading two thirds of the city's roads.

Could have sworn they were supposed to be upgrading ALL the roads!

Apparently:

Could have sworn they were supposed to be upgrading ALL the roads!

What's the point of doing roads that are absolutely fine?

Devonshire Terrace and Townhead Road in Dore, it's in an appalling state.

What's the point of doing roads that are absolutely fine?

Even the best roads generally have a few issues like uneven grates, broken curbs, etc and they are "supposed" to be bringing them up to standard. This has included widened the road to add more parking space in some places. (sadly not nearly as many as they could)

There is also the fact that from what we have seen so far, some of the ones they have already done WERE roads that appeared fine. So the concern is that the 1/4 they aren't going to do will turn out to be roads which DID need it. Or at least they will by the time the scheme ends.