Nominate your most unpleasant road user encounters

Idiots that DON'T use the bus lanes (that are usable before and after the signed times) especially on Ecclesall road. Why ?

And prats who don't use indicators ...........remember the phrase.....

"DON'T BE A W**NKER , USE YOUR ****** !! "

What tends to happen to me quite a lot is I will pull in a bit to allow an on-coming car through, and an idiot behind will just drive around me and go for it.

What tends to happen to me quite a lot is I will pull in a bit to allow an on-coming car through, and an idiot behind will just drive around me and go for it.

do you wonder why it happens alot?

Maybe you stop causing everyone to stop,yet if you had just carried on or flashed them to come through in good time fewer vehicles would be inconvenienced.

or it could just be that the oncoming traffic is miles away and no need to stop at all and the evidence is there when other road users manage to go round you quite safely.

or maybe the people behind you are so desperate not to be.

do you wonder why it happens alot?

Maybe you stop causing everyone to stop,yet if you had just carried on or flashed them to come through in good time fewer vehicles would be inconvenienced.

or it could just be that the oncoming traffic is miles away and no need to stop at all and the evidence is there when other road users manage to go round you quite safely.

or maybe the people behind you are so desperate not to be.

It must be tough being the most bestest and perfect driver on planet, and indeed driving master - who can condem someone's driving from a mere post when the rest of us mortals can't because we weren't there.

Sir, I salute you.

On another note, I was guilty of a howler the other month, pulled into a lane late at the jct of he m3/m27 without checking my mirrors correctly much the understandable annoyance of the driver who was already there. I was following another driver (not in a weird way!) and he had the sat nav but that's no excuse. My bad. Nobody died.

One thing I noticed back end of last month was the insistence of some drivers to get into the middle lane of the m25 and stay there without overtaking anything, it wasn't just one it was a few. I wouldn't have minded but it was 3 in the morning, no lane closures and the road was clear. Very odd.

It must be tough being the most bestest and perfect driver on planet, and indeed driving master - who can condem someone's driving from a mere post when the rest of us mortals can't because we weren't there.

Sir, I salute you.

On another note, I was guilty of a howler the other month, pulled into a lane late at the jct of he m3/m27 without checking my mirrors correctly much the understandable annoyance of the driver who was already there. I was following another driver (not in a weird way!) and he had the sat nav but that's no excuse. My bad. Nobody died.

One thing I noticed back end of last month was the insistence of some drivers to get into the middle lane of the m25 and stay there without overtaking anything, it wasn't just one it was a few. I wouldn't have minded but it was 3 in the morning, no lane closures and the road was clear. Very odd.

Well thankyou not that it means much from someone who cant even do basic obs.

Well thankyou not that it means much from someone who cant even do basic obs.

See, you're great! From one post about one incident on an unfamiliar road you extrapolate I drive like that all the time! Great!!!

See, you're great! From one post about one incident on an unfamiliar road you extrapolate I drive like that all the time! Great!!!

Bad things don't happen only to bad people. Drivers need to be on-the-ball all the time since it takes is just one such "bad" to end up in court.

And the judge won't say "ok, you've only ever killed one motor cyclist".

Tip (from this trigger event): don't follow someone else, know where you are going, drive independently with your own instructions, map, SatNav.

Edited by DT Ralge

Road problems in the UK are few and far between when you compare them to other countries in Europe. People reversing up the motorway because they missed a petrol station is not a rare occurrence where I am. Parking in the middle of a busy road to nip in to a shop is also so common it rarely even warrants a beep of the horn.

I still wouldn't swap it for the constant barrage of rules and regulations in England though (until I get killed by someone reversing up the motorway of course)

Road problems in the UK are few and far between when you compare them to other countries in Europe. People reversing up the motorway because they missed a petrol station is not a rare occurrence where I am. Parking in the middle of a busy road to nip in to a shop is also so common it rarely even warrants a beep of the horn.

I still wouldn't swap it for the constant barrage of rules and regulations in England though (until I get killed by someone reversing up the motorway of course)

Surely you're subject to similar rules and regulations it's just that people don't pay any attention to them.

Surely you're subject to similar rules and regulations it's just that people don't pay any attention to them.

Not quite. We have a lot of stop signs instead of traffic lights which are only used on major junctions. Stop signs would never replace traffic lights in the UK. You don't see stop signs in the UK as in many aspects it is a 'nanny state' which works on the basis of strict rules which have to be enforced rather than allowing citizens to exercise freedom of common sense. It's the same reason you see traffic lights at the end of quiet roads with excellent visibility where a give-way would suffice - it's part of the structure of British society, to enforce specific stringent rules in every facet.

There are rules of course, but no one enforces the rules and no one follows them. It's a gentleman's agreement.

Interestingly, the speed limits here are a lot lower than in the UK on most types of road. I've never heard a single person complain though - and the only time I've ever seen someone going the speed limit on the major road from my house to my work was when they had their hazards on because their car had a problem :hihi:

Edited by BarryRiley

Not quite. We have a lot of stop signs instead of traffic lights which are only used on major junctions. Stop signs would never replace traffic lights in the UK. You don't see stop signs in the UK as in many aspects it is a 'nanny state' which works on the basis of strict rules which have to be enforced rather than allowing citizens to exercise freedom of common sense. It's the same reason you see traffic lights at the end of quiet roads with excellent visibility where a give-way would suffice - it's part of the structure of British society, to enforce specific stringent rules in every facet.

There are rules of course, but no one enforces the rules and no one follows them. It's a gentleman's agreement.

Interestingly, the speed limits here are a lot lower than in the UK on most types of road. I've never heard a single person complain though - and the only time I've ever seen someone going the speed limit on the major road from my house to my work was when they had their hazards on because their car had a problem :hihi:

I don't know in which country you live, other than it being coastal Europe, but have a look here and tell me whether it's safer to live there, where the rules, such as they are, are unenforced, or in the UK.

List of countries by traffic-related death rate.

Not unpleasant but funny..

Only last week I was driving through Crookes when the driver in front of me decided to turn right up Mulehouse Road-without signalling-pulling straight in front of a van coming the other way.The driver could only gesticulate with one hand as he was holding his mobile to his ear with the other....