Nominate your most unpleasant road user encounters

yes but your missing the point!

People often do things wrong,we ALL do.Going round sticking your fingers up at them all is going to achive what?

I certainly did not stick my fingers up (I am far too polite to do such a thing, even if warranted). I simply raised my hands in a gesture of dismay!

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 11:04 ----------

Many, Many instances of rude and downright dangerous behavior. But let me stick to one which involves a postman in a post van, I was cycling in a bus lane which is for those who don't know for buses and taxis and cycles.

So when i was cycling past this van i thought very little of it until it suddenly indicated left and turned left in the very same instance.

I had no chance of avoiding the van running into the side of me, I did hit the side of the van and was forced into the side of the kerb.

I was not hurt, there was not damage to either the van or my bike, But the man got out and ranted and raved that I should not be in a bus lane when he was pulling up to empty a post box. of course this escalated and we were soon eye to eye waiting for the first punch to come in.

At that point I either bottled it, or had a momentary clarity of thought that if we came to blows it would mean a criminal record for either of us. so i contended myself with a shout of ***k off and shoved him out of my face.

at that point I continued on my way.

I did get a hurl of abuse back but no physical challenge, so maybe he had the same thought.

OK, that probably beats my example. Glad you came off OK.

I have to go back to 1958 for my bad experience,I was cycling home from work on Penistone Road.As I approached a parked car outside the church at the bottom of Owlerton Green I looked behind and saw it was clear to pass it,as I did the driver suddenly opened his door without looking!.I hit him and the open door then did a perfect somersault over it,knocking the wind out of me but that was all,needless to say I gave him my full repertoire of Latin phrases as well as promising him a short stay in the Infirmary!.Any way I walked away in one piece that's the main thing as one or two people have been killed in the same spot over the years!.

yes but your missing the point!

People often do things wrong,we ALL do.Going round sticking your fingers up at them all is going to achive what?

I think we now know who was in that car :)

To be fair to the driver though, those crossings are too many in too short a space with too many light changes to predict whether a crossing is going to be clear or not. I get caught out there as well.

Oh on topic: Where I lived in the Netherlands was a one-track road along the canal, this route was often used by people trying to avoid the main road as it was actually more direct and usually empty. Living on that particular road I had seen enough to know the 60 kp/h speedlimit was there for a reason (cars frequently ended up in the canal, and we are talking a big canal here).

A guy in an Audi (what else) was behind me and felt that the speedlimit was there to be broken, driving at about half a car length behind me, flashing his lights and beeping.

So I stopped as soon as I felt it was safe, he couldn't go anywhere (single track after all) and told him I wanted to see his papers in a rather authoritative voice. He stammered, got bright red and handed over his license and insurance document. I then proceeded to write down his name, explain to him I expected him at the station at 9 in the morning and that he would respect other road users from there on in.

He agreed with everything, except 9 o'clock, so I agreed he could come in at lunch time, I am not a bureaucrat after all!

One of the best moments of my life, always wondered if he actually showed up :D

Edited by tzijlstra

I travel to Leeds fairly frequently and everytime I'm there I think how much worse the driving is, the Taxi's are really quite bad - I don't think a single one has a working indicator.

A couple of months ago I was walking my dog on a narrow lane in the early morning when I saw a lorry coming toward me at speed. This was before the vegetation had been cut back so though I tried to get myself and the dog to the side of the lane it was sloping and I quickly decided that it was not safe and we might fall as the lorry was passing. I had no choice then but to run as fast as I could back down the lane with the lorry pursuing me and my dog. Fortunately we did not trip and made it to the end of the lane. I am in my sixties and luckily hale and hearty, but the experience did shake me up a bit. I complained to the Company concerned but their driver denied the incident had occurred. Apparently he had not seen an elderly woman and a large German Shepherd dog running for their lives in front of his lorry. I hope that he is still kicking the sheets at night in shame, but somehow I doubt it.

I travel to Leeds fairly frequently and everytime I'm there I think how much worse the driving is, the Taxi's are really quite bad - I don't think a single one has a working indicator.

You think Leeds is bad you want to try Bradford... hardly anyone indicates, jumping red lights is obligatory as is randomly changing lanes, regardless of whether there is space to do so, in order to gain two yards and if you have insurance you're seen as some form of abnormal freak suitable only to be sued for whiplash.

jb

Not unpleasant so much as unfathomable.

A few months ago I saw/heard an ambulance in the rear view mirror. It was a few cars back. Naturally I slow down a bit and veer to the left a bit. The guy behind me does the same. The guy behind him overtakes us both!

I flash him, simply because it struck me as incredibly ignorant or just plain dozy.

Ambulance then comes past all of us, so the overtaker is still the car in front of me. Next thing he's making hand-gestures, emergency braking, the lot!

I'm shaking my head, guy behind me is shaking his head.

Obviously the overtaker was a little bit precious :hihi: As well as being thick.

I recently "saw" a man deliberately drive his t***** vehicle into a cyclist because the cyclist was moving up the middle of two lanes of traffic (as recommended in the highway code)

I say "saw" because it was me on the bike.

Edited by TimmyR

A couple of days ago I were in the car park in McDonald's Hillsborough and suddenly heard the cops coming. Turns out some guy had got such bad road rage he got out of his car and dragged someone else out his car. No idea what ended up happening though

You think Leeds is bad you want to try Bradford... hardly anyone indicates, jumping red lights is obligatory as is randomly changing lanes, regardless of whether there is space to do so, in order to gain two yards and if you have insurance you're seen as some form of abnormal freak suitable only to be sued for whiplash.

jb

Thats true to be fair.

and the bus drivers are utter kn**s as well.

One occurrence has stayed with me for years and I'm ashamed to say I am the driver at fault. Not strictly road rage but still car related. I'd been shopping at Meadowhall on a particularly busy day . Parked in the lower car park and was having trouble backing my large Rover out of the bay due to the cars on either side being parked really close to me. A driver who was waiting for my spot kept on beeping his horn for me to get a move on . I was getting hotter and hotter and more and more flustered and still he kept on beeping!! I was still struggling and he was beeping like mad when I finally managed to reverse out. I would down the window and gave him a one finger salute shouting " it's all yours now ****ok" !! Much to the shock of my kids who'd never seen or heard their Mum swear before . It was only as I reached the exit ramp that I realised he was beeping to tell me I had a very flat tyre and that's why it was such a struggle reversing !! I still go hot with shame when I think of it and needless to say my kids have never let it drop .

Edited by mrs grissom
Autocorrect fail