Sportsman Barnsley Road

Only a matter of time before the old place put up the shutters I suppose. Sad sight to see whilst driving past this afternoon.:|

Am I right in thinking that from the Travellers at Ecclesfield, there is no other pub still opening its doors on the way into city centre (via the main rd) until The Big Gun on the Wicker?

The Pitsmoor Hotel and Bay Horse are on the junction of Barnsley/Burngreave Road, would you class that as on the way into the city center?

What a shame, another "proper" pub gone.

Hope someone takes over, the last people seemed to do all the right things?

From the travs to town (in order i think) the high greave, huntsman, pheasant, cannon hall, sportsman, east house have all gone plus a few in wicker all on the 75/76 bus route - luv my first post on this forum not :-(

The Sportsman used to be a nice pub but it all changed when Colin left and a new Landlord took over ?9-10 years ago

From the travs to town (in order i think) the high greave, huntsman, pheasant, cannon hall, sportsman, east house have all gone plus a few in wicker all on the 75/76 bus route - luv my first post on this forum not :-(

I have been in the High Greave more times now it is funeral directors than I did when it was a pub. I even get to vote there now but I was disappointed with the shape of the ballot box, I expected a brass nameplate on it.

They even resorted to krappy-oke never a good sign.The real reason is that many people who live close do not drink alcohol.

They even resorted to krappy-oke never a good sign.The real reason is that many people who live close do not drink alcohol.

Karaoke was going strong in that pub years ago.

no the real truth is we now live in a society where drugs and crime end up in pubs so much now that the owners have had enough and the council are closing them down one by one

What a shame, another "proper" pub gone.

Hope someone takes over, the last people seemed to do all the right things?

Dont know how old you are mate but i would put money on that you are a good deal younger than me if you think the sportsman is a proper pub. Try the brown bear in the city no stink of food no music (or what passes as music now) no fruit machines or tele's and best of all no kids

used to be my "local" whrn Coling had it. Quiz on a Tuesday night, then a game of cards! Thats going back a good 15 years I reckon. We moved away from the area a few years back so haven't been in since. Sad to see it go, but not surprised.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

no the real truth is we now live in a society where drugs and crime end up in pubs so much now that the owners have had enough and the council are closing them down one by one

There's some truth in that but I don't think the council has much to do with it.