Sign in to follow this  

Area help

Originally posted by Spacehopper

8) Nah Den Ace.........

I wouldn't bother with Ecclesall, not after the recent murder anyway.

Is that Ecclesall or Ecclesall Road or are they both one and the same? ;-)

Originally posted by alchresearch

Is that Ecclesall or Ecclesall Road or are they both one and the same? ;-)

ROFL. Oh excellent!

From personal experience, I found Tapton Estates unprofessional and rude and would never consider using them again. There are lots of estate agents with student accomodation on Ecclesall Road itself.

You could actually try Burngreave Road. There are some 6 students houses here that I know of, but you can be assured there are alot more if you see the bus stop at 8:25am

Its handy if you are at Hallam (takes about 10 mins on the bus) but for Sheffield Uni, you are better sticking to the crookes, walkley, ecclesall road, hunters bar area where indeed he may encounter mugging, murders and prostitutes offering him reduced rate services. Hope he enjoys sheffield!

1Man&HisPimpstaBMW

Originally posted by richard

maybe yeah.... The Steel Press reported them as being completely unresponsive to issues of damp, rat infestations and so on.

I ought to point out that the stories weren't entirely true. The editor (Nick Sharpe) of the Steel Press was my housemate at uni (back when it cleaned up at the Guardian Student Media Awards in 2000.) They got into all sort of trouble about this story. Two students had said that when they went to the agency to make a complaint about work not being carried out a large dog was released on them. It turned out to be utterly untrue and the students had a grudge. My housemate almost got sued over it!

I have never used them though so can't really comment beyond saying this one story was untrue.

Originally posted by 1Man&hisBMW

You could actually try Burngreave Road. There are some 6 students houses here that I know of, but you can be assured there are alot more if you see the bus stop at 8:25am

Its handy if you are at Hallam (takes about 10 mins on the bus) but for Sheffield Uni, you are better sticking to the crookes, walkley, ecclesall road, hunters bar area where indeed he may encounter mugging, murders and prostitutes offering him reduced rate services. Hope he enjoys sheffield!

1Man&HisPimpstaBMW

Haven't had any of these things happen yet and been here 18 months! Did get a hifi nicked from deepest darkest swankiest S10 and have had my car vandalised and petrol stolen in broad daylight in crookesmoor.

On a more serious note, £45pw sounds more like the mortgage repayment for a house in fir vale than the rent for a room! You should be able to find something much closer uni for that eg in crookes, ecclesall road, s2 etc. although crookesmoor is getting very close to £70pw now. I am following 1Man&HisPimpstaBMW's route though, S3 seems to be the bargain of the century for property to buy and is actually not that much of a hike from the mappin street university site. I have been following this for a year or so now and I reckon its a pretty safe bet.

The university accomodation is good value for the first year- you only have to pay for term time so it costs around 70% what private rentals do and is in mostly in a VERY nice bit of town. A long walk though...

By living in Fir Vale, he will have to get two buses to Sheffield Uni... Because that's what I'm doing at the moment!

If he can afford it, get a house closer. But the price to rent a whole house in Fir Vale won't get you a room near the Uni!!

Property prices in S3 are going to go through the roof in the next 2 years - lots planned.