Policeman in a cape

Does anyone remember a police officer on the beat around the City Hall/Barkers Pool area, who wore an old fashioned cape well into the 1980s? Was he there for ceremonial purposes? Is this still the case? Or, was it just a personal uniform choice on his part?

The Cape was a normal part of the uniform usually worn by beat bobbies on foot patrol, especially on night shifts.

And weren't they great! Those Bobbies always made me feel safe anyway! Unlike the PCSO's these days who just seem to walk round in pairs looking for people to fine for dropping cigarette ends.

I remember the local bobby wearing a cape.

To me it was like a sign of authority....a bit like the headmaster at school who always wore a gown.

When I worked at hattersly and Davidson's on norfolk row in 1963 as an apprentice there was ex pc Harry Taber who was the Storesman there.i think his beat was round the townhall and stood near the blue police box on Surrey street near the underground toilets in his cape....

His name is jack barker and lived in earldom road for many years, I know because I broke his house drain pipe whilst sledging one year, he retired and eventually moved to bempton near bridlington, sadly I don't know if he is still with us

Regards

yes the cape was a part of the uniform kept in the old police boxes, my granddad was a bobby and had one he said they were very warm, and you could run a lot faster with not restricting his legs, also they kept his trousers dry as the rain would run of them and his trousers dry my nan sewed a pocket into the inside of it so he could put a sandwich in, should bring them back instead of driving round in warm police cars all day

Back in the 70's when I started my nurse training, all nurses were issued with a cape - one size fitted everyone. Navy blue with a bright red lining and straps that crossed over at the front.

They were very warm and came in handy when working the night shift as the wards were cold and draughty places in those days. Doubled up as an extra blanket on my bed in the nurses home which was very cold in the winter. This would be very much frowned upon by the infection control police these days .

Edited by Daven

I certainly do. Just needed a little fog wafting around to create the full effect;)

Do any police or detectives wear capes nowadays? It would look a bit.. sherlock holmesey

No, that style of uniform went in the eighties, now it is all para military look and functionality, new fabric and technology are leaps and bounds ahead of the traditional blue serge,

Regards

No, that style of uniform went in the eighties, now it is all para military look and functionality, new fabric and technology are leaps and bounds ahead of the traditional blue serge,

Regards

A friend of mine told me a story about his brother who was in the police in the 1960,s,he also played rugby and was built like a brick s...house.He was on duty in the Wicker on the same day as a football match.3 yobs were barracking him and saying its a good job he was wearing a uniform or they would sort him out.He was wearing a cape as he hadn't had time to put on his uniform before going on duty.He took off his cape and flattened them.They reported him to the police station and he was called in to there.The officer in charge said what he was accused of and told him to remove his cape.This he did and he had the full uniform on as he had been home to change.Case dismissed !!!