From sheffield to scarborough

im living in scarborough after 43 years in sheffield and i must admit some parts of this town worry me :0 make sheffield look mild

For me at least you would have to give out a little more info to make this thread interesting.

Would you like to enlarge Kingdom.

Did you move out of necessity perhaps.

High Garth estate is 1 to stay away from if my memory serves me correct...

I throught Scarborough was a nice place to live ?

I love scarborough and would like to live there one day,please tell us more.

Barrowcliffe used to be quite bad, buses wouldn't go there in the evenings at one point, i'm not sure what its like now and as Broccoli B said eastfield has its moments aswell as the area close to victoria road.

Alot of the B & B's around the North marine road area are now bail hostels for prisoners recently released on license, one way of making money for the owners i suppose given the decline in the tourist trade over the past 20 or so years. I have personally seen posters inside prisons offering "a new life by the sea" its a real shame because the town was quite prosperous back in the day. :-(

I love Scarborough and have been visiting for the last 25 years, but understand where you are coming from, the place just seems to be going downhill fast, salt of the earth people taking over the place and just not making it enjoyable anymore, which is a real shame...

It will keep getting worse in estates as long as Tories keep going the way they are.

Scarborough always looked a bit commercial to me for a seaside place but please forgive me that was my personal impression.

Sheffield is wonderful, lived here longer now than anywhere else, should change my username but not call it Sheffield (maybe something in-between like northsea).

Edited by dutch

Its like most sea side places nice on the front but when you get past were the tourist go they are usually dumps,I've been to most of the sea side places in this country and the worst ones are the Welsh sea side places,worst place I went to in England was morcambe that's a terrible place once you get off the beaten track.all the sea side place just have a few months to make some money when the holidays are over they just let anyone rent the houses to make a few quid in the off season, with not much in the way of decent jobs the only ones able to afford the rents are on benefits.

Scarborough used to be the premier Yorkshire seaside resort, leaving Bridlington way behind, but these days it seems to be the other way round. I find Scarborough a dump, lots of businesses closed down, the only place prospering is the Wetherspoons and the recent operation Yewtree results don't paint a pretty picture of any of the Yorkshire East Coast resorts.

From my observations i'd say more for families, but i don't tend to go into town at night when im there.

Scarbro' is a lovely place. Just don't expect a lie in with all those bloody seagulls!