Six myths about how the unions are ruining Britain

You're the know all on here these days, let rip!

So you have no answers to your unreason rant! Again!

Oh, so there hasn't been any job losses due to the major plants being costly and companies preferring other countries due to less strike action?

transferring to other countries so they make even more money (is that what you meant to say:hihi: )

Oh, so there hasn't been any job losses due to the major plants being costly and companies preferring other countries due to less strike action?

There have been job losses, but not, if memory serves, due to strike action. It was down to cheaper labour costs and some of the plants (Southampton almost certainly) needed a lot of money chucking at it. Unions in the car industry have learnt from past mistakes and seem to work with employers quite well in the main. I'm no union man by any stretch of the imagination but there are plenty of better targets than the car industry - on both parts.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 20:57 ----------

What's going on here tonight?

No idea. It looks like I'm talking to myself!

There have been job losses, but not, if memory serves, due to strike action. It was down to cheaper labour costs and some of the plants (Southampton almost certainly) needed a lot of money chucking at it. Unions in the car industry have learnt from past mistakes and seem to work with employers quite well in the main. I'm no union man by any stretch of the imagination but there are plenty of better targets than the car industry - on both parts.

So the expensive labour costs have nothing to do with unions are you saying?

The news always hinted at the strikes being a reason even though no company would admit to it!

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 21:00 ----------

transferring to other countries so they make even more money (is that what you meant to say:hihi: )

Yeah, basically!

So the expensive labour costs have nothing to do with unions are you saying?

The news always hinted at the strikes being a reason even though no company would admit to it!

So there was a "hinted" strike? What do they look like? If you at the number of jobs lost and number of jobs in the uk car manufacturing sector, it's a big win for job creation. It wasn't labour costs that shut Southampton down - they (again I'll find the link) needed a new factory.

So there was a "hinted" strike? What do they look like? If you at the number of jobs lost and number of jobs in the uk car manufacturing sector, it's a big win for job creation. It wasn't labour costs that shut Southampton down - they (again I'll find the link) needed a new factory.

They always need retooling...

Not a hinted strike, rather the news hinted that fear of and previous strikes was a concern.

They always need retooling...

Not a hinted strike, rather the news hinted that fear of and previous strikes was a concern.

So the press, based on nothing unions or management said, made something up then. That's a shocker. There's retooling and rebuilding. Southampton was old and knackered. But look how well land rover/jaguar are doing, nissan and Toyota. Vauxhall at elesmere port took on quite a few more staff recently - I remember posting as much.

So you have no answers to your unreason rant! Again!

You've got the hump again haven't you?:D

So the press, based on nothing unions or management said, made something up then. That's a shocker. There's retooling and rebuilding. Southampton was old and knackered. But look how well land rover/jaguar are doing, nissan and Toyota. Vauxhall at elesmere port took on quite a few more staff recently - I remember posting as much.

That's what the "good will" element of accounting is all about!

Even you stated earlier it was partly due to high labour costs!

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 21:12 ----------

You've got the hump again haven't you?:D

:wave: You drunk and not adding anything except foul language to the discussion again?

are you against workers in this country earning a decent wage :huh:

That's what the "good will" element of accounting is all about!

:wave: You drunk and not adding anything except foul language to the discussion again?

Well compared to Turkey, of course labour costs are going to be higher.