Six myths about how the unions are ruining Britain

It makes you wonder how organisations can be classified as voluntary if they have paid staff.

Could I claim to be a voluntary worker as I work for a monthly salary?

I was being subjective, criticising the methodology and content of the article.

It's an opinion piece, not intended to be objective.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 18:51 ----------

Could I claim to be a voluntary worker as I work for a monthly salary?

You can work for a voluntary organisation and claim a monthly salary!

Edited by Mister M

Is facility time meant to form somebody's extra duties, or is it meant to be a full time job?

For those employed on full time facility time (ie union activity) why shouldn't the unions pay their salary? I don't object to facility time, just who funds it when it takes away significantly from a persons actual job.

I asked you a question

Actually they can't because there are dozens of countries we can buy from and we do where as there was only one NUM who did try to cut off the supply. Haven't you noticed the lights don't go off any more.

They have as much chance as Mitsubishi trying to cut off our supply of cars by holding back a shipment. We'd just buy VWs.

oh yea

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1106382/Europe-plunged-energy-crisis-Russia-cuts-gas-supply-Ukraine.html :roll:

A good article that I thought I'd share :)

A good article that I thought i'd share ;)

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 20:05 ----------

Here's the main points:

This study finds:

Unions function as labor cartels. A labor cartel restricts the number of workers in a company or industry to drive up the remaining workers’ wages….. Companies pass on those higher wages to consumers through higher prices, and often they also earn lower profits. Economic research finds that unions benefit their members but hurt consumers generally, and especially workers who are denied job opportunities.

The average union member earns more than the average non-union worker. However, that does not mean that expanding union membership will raise wages: Few workers who join a union today get a pay raise. ….The economy has become more competitive over the past generation. Companies have less power to pass price increases on to consumers without going out of business. Consequently, unions do not negotiate higher wages for many newly organized workers. These days, unions win higher wages for employees only at companies with competitive advantages that allow them to pay higher wages, such as successful research and development (R&D;) projects or capital investments.

Unions effectively tax these investments by negotiating higher wages for their members, thus lowering profits. Unionized companies respond to this union tax by reducing investment. Less investment makes unionized companies less competitive.

Economists consistently find that unions decrease the number of jobs available in the economy. The vast majority of manufacturing jobs lost over the past three decades have been among union members–non-union manufacturing employment has risen. Research also shows that widespread unionization delays recovery from economic downturns.

Some unions win higher wages for their members, though many do not. But with these higher wages, unions bring less investment, fewer jobs, higher prices, and smaller 401(k) plans for everyone else.

Economic theory consequently suggests that unions raise the wages of their members at the cost of lower profits and fewer jobs, that lower profits cause businesses to invest less, and that unions have a smaller effect in competitive markets (where a union cannot obtain a monopoly).

…..union contracts compress wages: They suppress the wages of more productive workers and raise the wages of the less competent. Unions redistribute wealth between workers. Everyone gets the same seniority-based raise regardless of how much or little he contributes, and this reduces wage inequality in unionized companies… But this increased equality comes at a cost to employers. Often, the best workers will not work under union contracts that put a cap on their wages, so union firms have difficulty attracting and retaining top employees.

Studies typically find that unionized companies earn profits between 10 percent and 15 percent lower than those of comparable non-union firms.”

So basically more unions tends to lead to less jobs and businesses... The logic makes well reasoned sense!

Anyone who stands up to the government for what they believe in is a hero in my eyes. Especially when they're standing up to someone as stubborn, evil and destructive as that old leather faced witch.

But his chest beating and militant leftie rhetoric put tens of thousands of his members on the dole. And yet there are still some ex minors out there who worship this idiot.

Anyone who stands up to the government for what they believe in is a hero in my eyes.

This is your hero?

Meanwhile, the NUM is also asking questions about a one-off payment of £145,000 paid to the IEMO shortly before Mr Scargill retired from the NUM in 2002. The union's national executive committee was never consulted.

Mr Scargill said the payment was a grant and because it was made by an NUM trust fund, it did not need to be reported to the union's national executive committee.

Since he stepped down as NUM president 12 years ago, there have been many questions about the way Mr Scargill ran the union and especially what he did with its money.

The union's bosses discovered they were still paying £30,000 a year in rent for his London flat.

When they stopped paying in 2011, Mr Scargill took them to the High Court, but lost.

And that's just a little bit of Scargills ethics concerning the management of union fee's...

Here's the main points:

So basically more unions tends to lead to less jobs and businesses... The logic makes well reasoned sense![/QUOTE]

It makes no sense whatsoever, anybody who's worked and lived through the last thirty years knows you're talking bull****!

Here's the main points:

So basically more unions tends to lead to less jobs and businesses... The logic makes well reasoned sense![/QUOTE]

It makes no sense whatsoever, anybody who's worked and lived through the last thirty years knows you're talking bull****!

So what's happened to car manufacturing in this country for one?

So what's happened to car manufacturing in this country for one?

It's well respected, we produce a lot of well made cars for export for foreign companies?

It's well respected, we produce a lot of well made cars for export for foreign companies?

Oh, so there hasn't been any job losses due to the major plants being costly and companies preferring other countries due to less strike action?