Birley primary school thoughts?

Hi there. Just wondering what people's thoughts of birley primary school are? Is it worth a look round?

Any parents of children here? What do you think of it?

My kids go to school there, and I can't praise the teachers enough, both in the nursery and the main school. We also found Intake to be a good school too, but found Rainbow to be terrible (yes, we've changed schools a bit due to moving around).

Parking is terrible though if you intend on using the car to drop off and collect.

Great. Thank you. What did you find so terrible about rainbow?x

It's a good few years ago now, so things are probably different, but they were over subscribed for the year my son was in when the kids went back in September. In their wisdom, they took the five oldest children - including him - and put them in the year above. We only accepted this as they promised no gaps in his education and the five kids would be taught separate to the main class, to the proper curriculum for his age.

After a few months it was clear that nothing like this was happening at all and he was being assessed against the kids who were a year older, so was getting bad marks as he was expected to know things that by all intents and purposes he hadn't even been taught yet. We put him in a different school for January and he spent the next two terms trying to catch up on the education he missed.

We also had problems in the other years he was there, where it seemed they didn't have enough teaching staff to handle the children with special needs, so nearly every class was spent with teachers having to spend all their time with two or three kids in the class with every other child twiddling their thumbs or being told to read or play instead of learning. I was basically told I knew nothing and didn't have the right to question their decisions when I brought up their poor planning, which only cemented the feeling I had that the management couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag :/

Hopefully it is different now, but the parents who still have kids there haven't said anything to suggest otherwise.

the_bloke: you have no idea about teaching. That would never have happened. You're making it up.

amazon on what basis do you know this didn't happen?

? That's an interesting point. I have seen some ofsted reports outline something similar to a point you've made but not birley. It was one of the few that actually had a good report. Any other schools good around there?

the_bloke: you have no idea about teaching. That would never have happened. You're making it up.

i can assure you I am not. Perhaps you want to go and ask the school about their problems with class numbers in Y2 in 2010?

Amazon123. I DO know a bit about teaching and what "the_bloke" outlines has certainly happened in the past.

My five year old has been going to Birley since she was in the childcare. She loves it and is doing so well. She loves going to school and asks to go to school on the weekend. The staff I've met are lovely, and they hate to close the school for any reason. Last year my girls classroom flooded, it would of been easy for them just to send them home. But no they made sure that there was somewhere for them to go. Brilliant school xxx

Having over-subscribed year groups is one thing. Leaving a whole class "twiddling their thumbs" or being told to "play" or "read" while the teacher sat with special needs children certainly would not happen, unless you're referring to Early Years provision where learning through play is encouraged. Your unrealistic criticisms have shown you out to be a liar.

Having over-subscribed year groups is one thing. Leaving a whole class "twiddling their thumbs" or being told to "play" or "read" while the teacher sat with special needs children certainly would not happen,

Sorry to rain on your parade mate but it most certainly does happen.