Where was the asbestos?

As an Installation Electrician, we used asbestos by the sheet, for switch boxes. Sawing, filing and drilling it. Some cables had asbestos covering, and some had lead covering.

I think probably the worst thing was the extensive use of molten lead for large cable lead sheath "jointing". Melting pot, blow torches and sticks of tin/lead solder.

We used to come out of the steelworks covered in black grime, so you can imagine the air quality.

They were different times. Nobody was trying to kill us. We had a choice. We knew that where there was "muck", there was also money!

We always knew that the "muck" wasn't beneficial to our health. We knew that farmers and Blackpool landladies lived longer healthier lives, than coal miners and steelworkers :)

Your last sentence says it all. thank you .

---------- Post added 06-05-2016 at 22:58 ----------

I doubt that I will live that long either Tony. I made my purpose in writing on here clear, firstly to make those affected aware of the time limits for such cases and to offer corroborative information (you will notice I didn't ask for any back) for anyone affected who worked at Firth Brown's.

Not that it is anything to do with you I spoke with a solicitor because it was suggested to me by the Coroner's assistant that I should as there is something in the region of £14bn set aside by insurers for asbestos cases and my father's case was so clear cut (he didn't smoke by the way). I did not want an Inquest or a postmortem - that was imposed by the Coroner. Nor did I want any money (if I had got any it would have gone to SARAG to help pay for administrative help indexing and crossmatching cases for corroborative purposes- something they cannot afford to do with their present resources). I have no wish to be insensitive but I do think your comments say more about you than anything else. I'll say nothing more about the matter.

If you think you know me, then you must know the poster below and thousands upon thousands who breathed in all kinds of stuff during the periods of massive steel and coal production of post war Sheffield and the South Yorkshire Coalfields. Get over yourself.

I see the apologists for the asbestos mines in Canada are out in full force.

I see the apologists for the asbestos mines in Canada are out in full force.

If you are still "concerned" about asbestos, I trust you do not have that notoriously indiscriminate killer, gas, anywhere near you, or your loved ones!

If you are still "concerned" about asbestos, I trust you do not have that notoriously indiscriminate killer, gas, anywhere near you, or your loved ones!

since my dad died recently of mesothelioma I take a dim view of idiots like you who think asbestos is safe.

since my dad died recently of mesothelioma I take a dim view of idiots like you who think asbestos is safe.

I sympathize with you.

But we never thought the materials we worked with were "safe". We knew the inherent risk.

As someone who once climbed on top of a filthy overhead steel mill crane to install new lighting with no safety boots, safety glasses, tether, or gloves.

But we were from a generation who had suffered all kinds of depredations to fight Hitler, so we didn't expect to rely on our "government" to keep us safe, or warn us about the danger from wormy fruit, rotting vegetables, or unrefrigerated fish and meats, coal dust and smoke, or a leaky gas stove.

Different generation pal!

Edited by trastrick

the companies selling asbestos knew it was inherently dangerous for more than a 100 years but covered it up and hired the same lawyers and pr firms as big tobacco to play down the risk.

nobody in the uk when my dad was exposed to it knew the risk it posed.

you are a fool.

A dear friend of mine has been recently diagnosed with Mesothelioma, she was a nurse and was exposed whilst working in an NHS hospital in the early 60's. The hospitals knew of the danger but did nothing to warn or protect their employees.

the companies selling asbestos knew it was inherently dangerous for more than a 100 years but covered it up and hired the same lawyers and pr firms as big tobacco to play down the risk.

nobody in the uk when my dad was exposed to it knew the risk it posed.

you are a fool.

I lived a lot longer than your father by heeding my own common sense.

I never relied on Steel, Peach and Tozer, Sammy Fox, or Hadfields, or the National Coal Board to safeguard my own health!

Who's the fool, again?

Woodbines got us and the soldiers thru the war.

They weren't health supplements!

But, if you need someone to blame, it's OK, I have broad shoulders!

Edited by trastrick

I was in the Engineering branch of the Royal Navy, because I left the RN before 1987 if I am affected I get no compensation. The armed services have Crown Immunity. The scare started by saying the effects could be up to 5 years after exposure, the opinion now is that the threat is life long. The sword of Democles comes to mind.