Was Robin Hood really born ..

ere know he was a made up legend that as been around for centuries, but stood the test of time he never came here or born here Sherwood forest then was a massive forest that had hundreds of oak trees as it is now what's left od it. covers Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, south yorks and the peak district as far as monsel dale. with all the oak trees there many thousands of them were cut down to build ships for the navy

Robin Hoode lived near the round house and used John Little as a strong arm to persuade local landowners to part with their bit. Hoode then had to register the land with the Sheriff hence the bad feeling. There was a few years back on this Forum researched details of the crooks dealings.

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 20:12 ----------

Talking about the landed gentry. During WW2 I used to go, like many others, go hiking in Derbyshire. I caught the train in Healey and got off in Grindleford then wandered over to Chatsworth and on to Bakewell where the tackle came out, no not that tackle, fishing tackle and there we sat catching trout which were even more hungry than us because they took the hook with no bait.After about 15 minutes we would have a couple of half pounders in our packs we would then go to a spot by the river where there was a some clay. We wrapped the clay round the fish and put them in a fire and after half an hour they were cooked. I've never tasted trout as good.

I would dearly love to believe that Robin Hood really existed, but, sadly, like most of our larger than life heroes, like King Arthur and Sherlock Holmes, he is a pure work of fiction. If he had really been one of King John's worst enemies, he would have existed in the history books and been part of the school curriculum.

I heard that it was Trudy Glen and the song confirmed it:- Robin Hood Robin Hood riding Trudy Glen.

fantastic :hihi::hihi:

Did he exist, i 'd like to think so, but then again in the story's he idolized king Richard, who was a Frenchman that couldn't speak a word of English rarely even visited this country but managed to bankrupt it apparently..

Funny old world in it...

Did he exist, i 'd like to think so, but then again in the story's he idolized king Richard, who was a Frenchman that couldn't speak a word of English rarely even visited this country but managed to bankrupt it apparently..

Funny old world in it...

Musta dun sumat good.

Only a couple of kings got good monikers (Alfie the Great, and Dick the Lion Heart)

Just to add to the confusion. How come Doncaster Airport was named Robin Hood Airport. Strange Methinks!

Happy Days! PopT

Just to add to the confusion. How come Doncaster Airport was named Robin Hood Airport...
The marketing people came up with the name. There is some historical basis for this (evidence from the earliest - 15th century - Robin Hood ballads places him in South Yorkshire's Barnsdale Forest, which in the 1400s may have merged into Sherwood Forest). See the "Airport name" part of the Wikipedia article on the airport..:)

Musta dun sumat good.

Only a couple of kings got good monikers (Alfie the Great, and Dick the Lion Heart)

Not in this country he didn't, but then again you have to remember in his time they also owned about a third of what is now France....

Well until John lost Normandy...

... king Richard, who was a Frenchman that couldn't speak a word of English rarely even visited this country...
Yep - he was so fond of visiting the south of France that they called him Richard Gare de Lyon..:P

I knew his girlfriend.

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 23:59 ----------

They worked behind the bar in tights.

Maid Marian used the pub as her office .

Who was Maid Marian?

---------- Post added 25-02-2015 at 00:01 ----------

Also the position of 'Sheriff of Nottingham' didn't exist then.

According to Wikepedia: 'From 1068 until 1567, the position existed as*'High Sheriff of Notti, nghamshireDerbyshire and the Royal Forests'

Earliest references put him in the Barnsdale area, but he could have operated in Sherwood Forest which stretched much forther then, a horse ride away.

High was he didn't know the drugs were around then.