Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

Uh huh, and I bet this scenario happens so often.

The solution is to stop labelling it as wheelchair/pushchair of course, and always require that pushchairs are folded.

That would solve the problem but it would also cause the bus company to loose money because the majority of the time the space wouldn't be occupied. Taking some seats out would be a better solution, but then people would be complaining about not having a seat to sit on.

You tell the wheelchair user to go back home or wait for the next bus.

Simples :)

Just like the rest of us have to. A PITA, but that`s life.

It isn't wheelchair/pushchair/buggy space.

It is a wheelchair space and despite all the chuntering and legalities, First Bus (and the majority of society) still expect you to shift when a wheelchair user needs it.

A bus cannot "have no space to move to" without being overloaded.

No one chooses to need a wheelchair.

---------- Post added 13-12-2014 at 11:47 ----------

It's basic common decency to move. Everyone who is making excuses as to why someone shouldn't move seems to be lacking it.

Very true, Cyclone.

I didn't choose to be poisoned by carbon monoxide by a Rachman landlord, who refused to comply with the landlord and Tenant Act by maintaining the property's gas fires according to the law.

We (my ex hubby and I) used the gas fires over the winter, getting more and more ill, not knowing that the odourless, colourless gas was seeping back into the room, due to a blocked flue. This left me needing to rely on a wheelchair as I suffered neurological damage. We were lucky to survive, as you only tend to hear of CO poisonings when the occupants of properties are found dead.

We did not move into that property, thinking "Oh, with a bit of luck, the fires might cause CO poisoning, and, hey, we might lose everything... our marriage, our health, our home and our job... whoopee!"

---------- Post added 13-12-2014 at 17:02 ----------

You tell the wheelchair user to go back home or wait for the next bus.

Simples :)

If it's the last bus... and they are on their way back home from somewhere?

How does that one work? NOT so simples, actually!

(Though of course, how DARE we want to go out anywhere, or want to visit friends etc!)

---------- Post added 13-12-2014 at 17:11 ----------

so, for example,

I go up to Stannington, to visit my Bestie... I go out to catch the one-an-hour 81, from "Stannington Top" at 2242, to get me back into town for the connection to my side of town...

However, as frequently happens on that route, the 81 fails to turn up.

I wait an hour for the next one, at 2342.

The 2342 arrives but someone with a pram is in the wheelchair space, and will not take little Tarquin out of his pram, to make space for my wheelchair.

Should I be made to wait for the next bus? Given that it's not going to arrive for another five hours and ten minutes?

Very true, Cyclone.

I didn't choose to be poisoned by carbon monoxide by a Rachman landlord, who refused to comply with the landlord and Tenant Act by maintaining the property's gas fires according to the law.

We (my ex hubby and I) used the gas fires over the winter, getting more and more ill, not knowing that the odourless, colourless gas was seeping back into the room, due to a blocked flue. This left me needing to rely on a wheelchair as I suffered neurological damage. We were lucky to survive, as you only tend to hear of CO poisonings when the occupants of properties are found dead.

We did not move into that property, thinking "Oh, with a bit of luck, the fires might cause CO poisoning, and, hey, we might lose everything... our marriage, our health, our home and our job... whoopee!"

---------- Post added 13-12-2014 at 17:02 ----------

If it's the last bus... and they are on their way back home from somewhere?

How does that one work? NOT so simples, actually!

(Though of course, how DARE we want to go out anywhere, or want to visit friends etc!)

---------- Post added 13-12-2014 at 17:11 ----------

so, for example,

I go up to Stannington, to visit my Bestie... I go out to catch the one-an-hour 81, from "Stannington Top" at 2242, to get me back into town for the connection to my side of town...

However, as frequently happens on that route, the 81 fails to turn up.

I wait an hour for the next one, at 2342.

The 2342 arrives but someone with a pram is in the wheelchair space, and will not take little Tarquin out of his pram, to make space for my wheelchair.

Should I be made to wait for the next bus? Given that it's not going to arrive for another five hours and ten minutes?

Exactly what if it is the last bus and the child and mother ends up stuck in the middle of nowhere? Your "oh look at poor old me" approach to everything can work on many different platforms you know!

Exactly what if it is the last bus and the child and mother ends up stuck in the middle of nowhere? Your "oh look at poor old me" approach to everything can work on many different platforms you know!

If it is the last bus, I would be HUGELY surprised if there wasn't plenty of room for the pram to be moved to make way for the wheelchair. There's not that many people out at that time of night - and to be honest, what's a baby doing out at that time, anyway?

That would solve the problem but it would also cause the bus company to loose money because the majority of the time the space wouldn't be occupied. Taking some seats out would be a better solution, but then people would be complaining about not having a seat to sit on.

They can let people use it the rest of the time.

But that way if there is any contention for it, it's quite clear who has the priority.

I'm sure by now everyone is blue in the face at the number of times we have had to explain this concept to you and the others of the same ilk..

It really does seem that the perfectly simple concept is failing to sink in.

No.

One.

Is.

Expecting.

A.

Mother.

And.

Child.

To

Be.

Turfed .

Off.

A.

Bus.

All.

We.

Are.

Expecting.

Is.

That.

They.

Simply.

Be.

Reasonable.

And.

Fold

The.

Pram.

Not.

Scale.

Mount.

Everest.

Without.

Oxygen.

Or.

Ropes.

is that not simple enough to comprehend?

They can let people use it the rest of the time.

But that way if there is any contention for it, it's quite clear who has the priority.

So if the space is vacant I would be allowed to start my 13 mile journey with my second hand unfoldable pram and baby, and if someone in a wheelchair wants to get on the bus after a mile I would be expected to get off and wait an hour for the next bus which may or may not have a vacant space for my pram. Assuming its vacant I would be allowed to continue my journey, but again if after a mile someone in a wheelchair wants to get on I would have to get off and wait another hour even if their next bus was only a ten minute wait. Before the end of the my journey which I might not get the chance to finish in the day, you think giving priory to someone that could just wait another ten minutes for their next bus is more important than allowing me to finish my journey.

So if the space is vacant I would be allowed to start my 13 mile journey with my second hand unfoldable pram and baby, and if someone in a wheelchair wants to get on the bus after a mile I would be expected to get off and wait an hour for the next bus which may or may not have a vacant space for my pram. Assuming its vacant I would be allowed to continue my journey, but again if after a mile someone in a wheelchair wants to get on I would have to get off and wait another hour even if their next bus was only a ten minute wait. Before the end of the my journey which I might not get the chance to finish in the day, you think giving priory to someone that could just wait another ten minutes for their next bus is more important than allowing me to finish my journey.

Prams fold. They are designed to fold.

If your pram is broken enough to not fold, then your pram is obviously not fit for purpose, and you are endangering your child by using it.

No, you would be expected to move.

What part of previous warnings to remain civil did you fail to comprehend? If this continues the thread will be closed and suspensions issued.

Edited by alternageek