Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

The common sense solution is to move to another part of the bus if you can, and if there are no suitable places on the bus you either stay where you are or get off, either way it should be your choice. If I was a couple of stops away from my destination I would get off, if I was miles away from my destination I would probably stay on. In an ideal world the bus company would make buses that everyone can use.

The common sense solution is to move to another part of the bus if you can, and if there are no suitable places on the bus you either stay where you are or get off, either way it should be your choice. If I was a couple of stops away from my destination I would get off, if I was miles away from my destination I would probably stay on. In an ideal world the bus company would make buses that everyone can use.

They do.

In an ideal world parents would only board buses with easily collapsible pushchairs (as opposed to burnished thrones), and set a good example for their children by collapsing and moving the buggy if a disabled person needed the space. What kind of message in selfishness does the child get when they see a disabled person unable to board the bus because his/her mother will not allow it? It's disgraceful.

Edited by aliceBB

They do.

In an ideal world parents would only board buses with easily collapsible pushchairs (as opposed to burnished thrones), and set a good example for their children by collapsing and moving the buggy if a disabled person needed the space. What kind of message in selfishness does the child get when they see a disabled person unable to board the bus because his/her mother will not allow it? It's disgraceful.

The ideal world would be a world in which everyone is catered for and not a world in which everyone is forced to do as you suggest. Its not selfish to accept a second hand uncollapsible buggy and then use it on a bus, or to have sleeping babies that you do not wish to wake or take out into the cold in the hope of another bus coming along shortly.

No, she just folds the pushchair, to make way for the wheelchair user. No messing.

Not all pushchairs fold. Not all mothers are in a position to hold a couple of babies. Most babies have no more ability to walk than wheelchair users. It is just that mothers and babies are rather more vulnerable than most wheelchair users.

But you said that in reply to rolling j's comment about a friend of his getting £50 per annum in taxi vouchers, not the DLA.

But he had replied to me, making the point about the mobility component, and must have confused it for taxi vouchers, and therein lies the confusion, as I was originally on about the DLA

I don't see why a fare paying passenger, who has a buggy and children should be forced off a bus so a wheelchair user should be able to get on.

Especially when disabled people are paid an allowance to help them to travel. If they were not given such an allowance, my opinion might be different.

As it stands, perhaps disabled people should lose their entitlement to mobility allowances as they are now provided with free travel on public transport and it seems they are to be given priority allowing them to force other fare paying passengers off of the bus so that they may travel, perhaps only for one stop.

Quite easy to get muddled up on here with multiple posters debating multiple things. :)

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 05:48 ----------

Glad this has been overturned, it just didn't seem right.

If all are equal it should be first come first served.

If if it is the last bus, then I suppose there should be some onus on the bus company to provide a taxi for all fare paying passengers to get them to the destination the bus goes to, if they are incapable of picking them up. - Which would end up excluding disabled people with the current free travel - but as I said earlier, these people do get a travel allowance that cold cover a taxi in the relatively rare occasion there is no free space on the bus.

It seems to me that some disabled people want to be more than equal, and that mothers are easily vilified in today's society, it's almost a crime to have children nowadays, and people vilifying mothers do so unchallenged, it's almost fashionable to hate children and demand that those with the audacity to breed be financially punished and ostracised.

We should really be making sure our society caters for all people, especially those with young children, what with the sub replacement birth rate and the inevitable demographic problems caused by a shrinking native population.

The whole public transport situation is a mess in this country, and we either need to nationalise public travel and provide it free at point of use to all. (My preferred option), or remove free travel fro the elderly and disabled.

We have the so called 'market forces' of fare paying passengers which are now insignificant due to the sheer lack of fare paying passengers, with public travel used mainly by those with free travel.

Privatised profit and public loss, with many of those on the lowest incomes forced to pay for the travel of others who are much better off than them, particularly in the case of pensioners, and then being unable to afford to use public travel themselves due to prohibitive costs, particularly for the youngest in our society on meagre wages or a pitiful dole, or a combination of meagre wages and pitiful dole.

Not all pushchairs fold. Not all mothers are in a position to hold a couple of babies. Most babies have no more ability to walk than wheelchair users. It is just that mothers and babies are rather more vulnerable than most wheelchair users.

More vulnerable? :loopy:

If you buy a pushchair that won't fold then you've brought it on yourself.

But he had replied to me, making the point about the mobility component, and must have confused it for taxi vouchers, and therein lies the confusion, as I was originally on about the DLA

Quite easy to get muddled up on here with multiple posters debating multiple things. :)

CBA to go back to read all of this again, but I don't think my point was about the mobility component, it was about the disabled bus pass. Having spoken to my friend, to obtain the £80.00/pa in taxi vouchers, she has to sign away her right to a DISABLED bus pass (not old enough for a pensioners pass). In any case, because of the nature of her disability, using buses would be impossible, except for a 5 minute journey.

The whole public transport situation is a mess in this country, and we either need to nationalise public travel and provide it free at point of use to all. (My preferred option), or remove free travel fro the elderly and disabled.

Bit of a difference between those two views. How do you reconcile them?

We have the so called 'market forces' of fare paying passengers which are now insignificant due to the sheer lack of fare paying passengers, with public travel used mainly by those with free travel.

I assume this is guesswork or opinion. If not I would be interested in seeing where the facts are published.

I'd assume that he's off with the fairies, public transport used primarily by those with free travel. He's clearly not caught a tram or a train recently, and I can't see why the bus would be very different.

More vulnerable? :loopy:

If you buy a pushchair that won't fold then you've brought it on yourself.

So who would be more vulnerable at Parsons Cross at 8pm on a Saturday night in winter. A woman with 3 kids and a pram who doesn't know the area and has just been put off a bus, or a wheelchair user from Parson's Cross who lives 50 metres from the bus stop?

Actually if you bought a folding pushchair that folds up whilst the kids are in it you bought that on yourself.

You can of course buy a folding wheelchair. Then when you get on a bus, in a car or on the train or a plane it can be folded up whilst you sit in a regular seat

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 14:26 ----------

On the presumption that it is a shared wheelchair/pushchair space then priority should be given to the person who gets there first.

If it's purely a wheelchair designated space then any pushchairs occupying the space should move. The driver should also wait until the pushchair has been folded away, any shopping/bags appropriately stored and the parent is sitting with the child firmly held before setting off. I'm sure the rest of the passengers won't mind the wait.

jb

---------- Post added 13-11-2014 at 13:16 ----------

I wonder what he would have done if the space had been occupied by another wheelchair user? How many spaces should a bus company provide? Is one enough? Should there be one for wheelchairs and one for buggies or two for wheelchairs? Should they get around the problem by being mainly an open space with standing room for the majority of passengers, plenty of spaces for wheelchairs ad buggies and only a few seats for the elderly or infirm?

jb

I have just seen a mobility scooter was parked in blue badge parking space. There was no blue badge. Is it wrong for them to park there?

Edited by roosterboost

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 05:48 ----------

Glad this has been overturned, it just didn't seem right.

If all are equal it should be first come first served.

If if it is the last bus, then I suppose there should be some onus on the bus company to provide a taxi for all fare paying passengers to get them to the destination the bus goes to, if they are incapable of picking them up. - Which would end up excluding disabled people with the current free travel - but as I said earlier, these people do get a travel allowance that cold cover a taxi in the relatively rare occasion there is no free space on the bus.

It seems to me that some disabled people want to be more than equal, and that mothers are easily vilified in today's society, it's almost a crime to have children nowadays, and people vilifying mothers do so unchallenged, it's almost fashionable to hate children and demand that those with the audacity to breed be financially punished and ostracised.

We should really be making sure our society caters for all people, especially those with young children, what with the sub replacement birth rate and the inevitable demographic problems caused by a shrinking native population.

Privatised profit and public loss, with many of those on the lowest incomes forced to pay for the travel of others who are much better off than them, particularly in the case of pensioners, and then being unable to afford to use public travel themselves due to prohibitive costs, particularly for the youngest in our society on meagre wages or a pitiful dole, or a combination of meagre wages and pitiful dole.

Fully agree with you, on that chem. The court has reached the correct verdict. I don't use a wheelchair but I know if I did that I would strongly object to someone saying I am not equal to everyone else, especially as they would not have asked me in the first place.

So who would be more vulnerable at Parsons Cross at 8pm on a Saturday night in winter. A woman with 3 kids and a pram who doesn't know the area and has just been put off a bus, or a wheelchair user from Parson's Cross who lives 50 metres from the bus stop?

Actually if you bought a folding pushchair that folds up whilst the kids are in it you bought that on yourself.

You can of course buy a folding wheelchair. Then when you get on a bus, in a car or on the train or a plane it can be folded up whilst you sit in a regular seat

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 14:26 ----------

I have just seen a mobility scooter was parked in blue badge parking space. There was no blue badge. Is it wrong for them to park there?

Was either the mobility scooter driver disabled or the space marked as also for the use of said scooters?

jb