Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

It was never about throwing anybody off a bus. That was a spurious distraction.

This thread was about the reasonable expectation of a buggy user to vacate the wheelchair space on a bus when necessary.

It became about throwing three infants off a bus when cyclone said they should be thrown off a bus to make room for people in wheelchairs.

Edited by martok

And there was me thinking that it was me defending a parents right to be not thrown off a bus with her three infants just to make room for someone in a wheelchair.

No, you've been beyond obtuse, frankly, and persistently and deliberately obfuscating the issue.

I'm presuming that these measures are in place so the buses conform to some sort of disability discrimination act.

Personally, I've got a pram that I can't fold down, and I understand that I'm in one of the spaces I have to move. If there is nowhere for me to move to I have to catch the next bus.

You actually own a pram and use buses and can grasp this idea, such a shame martok cannot seem to get it

No, you've been beyond obtuse, frankly, and persistently and deliberately obfuscating the issue.

What is obtuse about defending a mothers right to transport her three infants on a bus without fear of being thrown off?

---------- Post added 01-12-2014 at 17:38 ----------

You actually own a pram and use buses and can grasp this idea, such a shame martok cannot seem to get it

Post 328 and no one as said that a bus company would refund the fair that had been paid or explained why they deem it acceptable to throw three infants off a bus just to make room for someone else. I know that I could never be that selfish that I would expect them to get off just so that I could get on.

What is obtuse about defending a mothers right to transport her three infants on a bus without fear of being thrown off?

Im not even going to dignify that..

Nothing you or anyone else can say will lead me to think it is acceptable to throw three infants off a bus just to make room for someone else. I am happy to agree to disagree with you all but I won't back down from the only stance that I think could ever be acceptable in a civilised society.

Door for the narrowminded is that way Smithy.......->

Yeah, I'm surprised as well. I hope it gets appealed higher and reinstated.

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 13:25 ----------

It became about throwing three infants off a bus when cyclone said they should be thrown off a bus to make room for people in wheelchairs.

It became about throwing them off when you made up the scenario where they point blank refuse to move.

My two penneth.

It should be first come first served. If a parent and buggy get on the bus first then they get the spot. If a disabled passenger gets on the bus first then they have priority.

One warning and one only - if this thread descends back into bickering sniping and abuse it will be closed and will remain closed and bans will be issued for all participants

My two penneth.

It should be first come first served. If a parent and buggy get on the bus first then they get the spot. If a disabled passenger gets on the bus first then they have priority.

The law is that provision must be made for wheelchair users, so the signs need changing to show wheelchair spaces only, this is what happens when people dont do the right thing.

The problem it seems is that it is a "priority" spot for wheelchair users.

Not a wheelchair only spot.

Either the bus companies need to amend their terms of carriage to give drivers the authority to require people to vacate the spot, or Parliament needs to legislate.

It seems it's far too tricky to simply expect people to do the decent thing....