Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

The law is that provision must be made for wheelchair users, so the signs need changing to show wheelchair spaces only, this is what happens when people dont do the right thing.

Whos not doing the right thing? The bus company?

It now looks like the ruling that insisted that pushchair users must give way to wheelchair users has been overruled. From the BBC:

Bus companies are not required by law to force parents with buggies to make way for wheelchair users in designated bays on vehicles, senior judges ruled.

I use a wheelchair and sometimes a small scooter. The scooter has to be very small and meet certain criteria. I also had to take a test to use it on buses.

Some of these pushchairs are much larger that my scooter and cannot get around the bus. Why is there not a maximum sixe so that maybe both can get on. Also, many of the buggies will fold up so why nor do as we did years ago and fold them (or are they used as a shopping trolley?)

It is a really difficult question, but I suppose that if wheelchair users should have EQUAL rights to non-disabled, then it has to be a case of first there wins the spot.

I personally think there are some pushchairs which are far too big for the space, the handles stick out into the centre aisle. They are also often laden with shopping and make it difficult to negotiate a path past them. On the other hand wheelchairs fit neatly into the space allocated.

I feel sorry for any bus driver faced with the problem of who gets to occupy the space if there is a row.

Nothing you or anyone else can say will lead me to think it is acceptable to throw three infants off a bus just to make room for someone else. I am happy to agree to disagree with you all but I won't back down from the only stance that I think could ever be acceptable in a civilised society.

Post 328 and no one as said that a bus company would refund the fair that had been paid or explained why they deem it acceptable to throw three infants off a bus just to make room for someone else. I know that I could never be that selfish that I would expect them to get off just so that I could get on.

I agree with you here. I'm envisaging a late night bus where a woman has paid for her ticket and has prams, kids, shopping. The bus arrives at Parson's Cross and at the stop is someone in a wheel chair.

Is that woman to be forced off a bus in a place she does not know, in the dark, rain or snow, to get mugged after she has contracted for the fare home?

Fine if there is somewhere on the bus capable of taking the pram load of kids, but if a bus is full, it is full.

I'm thinking 18 month old twins in a pram have probably less ability to walk than most wheel chair users.

Edited by roosterboost

looks as though it is all settled now.

looks as though it is all settled now.

Pending permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Who paid for the court action and if an appeal is granted who will pay for the appeal?

Who paid for the court action and if an appeal is granted who will pay for the appeal?

First Group brought this appeal.

"Paulley’s defence of the Isaacs decision is being funded by the Equality and Human Rights Commission"

I am 90 years old and use a bus occasionally,i have no objections to pushchairs on a bus but think it should be restricted to 2 chairs at anyone time.Some of these pushchairs are like charriots,if they want to use them on a bus they should get one more suitable,when my kids were young we had a small one and it was always ready folded when we boarded a bus,if you get more than 2 on the bus they tend to block the passageway usually with 3 or 4 shopping bags full hanging from the handles

I agree with you here. I'm envisaging a late night bus where a woman has paid for her ticket and has prams, kids, shopping. The bus arrives at Parson's Cross and at the stop is someone in a wheel chair.

Is that woman to be forced off a bus in a place she does not know, in the dark, rain or snow, to get mugged after she has contracted for the fare home?

Fine if there is somewhere on the bus capable of taking the pram load of kids, but if a bus is full, it is full.

I'm thinking 18 month old twins in a pram have probably less ability to walk than most wheel chair users.

No, she just folds the pushchair, to make way for the wheelchair user. No messing.

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 20:17 ----------

I use a wheelchair and sometimes a small scooter. The scooter has to be very small and meet certain criteria. I also had to take a test to use it on buses.

Some of these pushchairs are much larger that my scooter and cannot get around the bus. Why is there not a maximum sixe so that maybe both can get on. Also, many of the buggies will fold up so why nor do as we did years ago and fold them (or are they used as a shopping trolley?)

I've argued this one, too, Pat.

If a wheelchair of "x" wide or "y" long is too big for the space, under the rules referring to the reference wheelchair,(a size that defines the space for the wheelchair,) then surely a pram of over x by y is too big, too, and likewise should be refused transit?

Edited by Plain Talker
defines has but one I