Firm to employ Hungarians to make sandwiches

Does anyone else find is bizarre/disturbing that we are having to recruit people from Hungary to fill vacancies in a sandwich making factory.

Surely out of the 2 million unemployed in this country we have people at the relevant skill levels for these vacancies.

I despair sometimes at the mess we've got into.

Surely out of the 2 million unemployed in this country we have people at the relevant skill levels for these vacancies.

Yes, but they're not prepared for work for 50p an hour, unlike these Eastern Europeans.

Did you hear the CBI today demanding that Cameron should continue allowing mass immigration from Eastern Europe?

Also, these jobs are not until 2016. Not many Brits are going to apply for a job that far in advance. People want jobs now!

Also, these jobs are not until 2016. Not many Brits are going to apply for a job that far in advance. People want jobs now!

The way the economy is going, we'll all be applying for those jobs in 2016 :o

I suggest you dust off your CV and spend the next two years practising your sandwich making! :hihi:

Yes, but they're not prepared for work for 50p an hour, unlike these Eastern Europeans.

Did you hear the CBI today demanding that Cameron should continue allowing mass immigration from Eastern Europe?

It's illegal to work for 50p per hour in the UK, although I reckon some people would want to employ at that rate and some won't want to pat at all. I suspect this is more to do with schemes such as the WRS where employers make no, or very little committment, to the people they employ. Those type of employees put up with harsh conidions and living in little more than a boot camp, saving as much as they can before returning home; but for them it would be for only a short time, say a couple of years. A British person in comparison would have to pay more in rent/mortgage, power etc, unless you want to bring back the workhouses ... which, I suspect, some people on these boards undoubtedly do.

Why don't they just get robots to make them, that way they won't have to pay them a penny.

Does anyone else find is bizarre/disturbing that we are having to recruit people from Hungary to fill vacancies in a sandwich making factory.

The cost of living is probably (I say probably because I don't know) much lower in Hungary, So the plucky Hungarians will come here, make and save their money and take it home and live like kings.

Granvill from Open All Hours was half Hungarian- the bottom half I think.

Edited by Guest

they are coming over doing jobs like like car wash and getting pay a lot less then minimum wage. But it is still a lot more then what they earn back home.So there will be a lot less jobs for us brits

TROUBLE IS THE LAZY LAYABOUTS HERE WONT GET OUT OF BED FOR ANYTHING NO WORK ETHIC! the sooner benefits are stopped being paid in cash and turned into vouchers the better thats the only way to stop it!!

TROUBLE IS THE LAZY LAYABOUTS HERE WONT GET OUT OF BED FOR ANYTHING NO WORK ETHIC! the sooner benefits are stopped being paid in cash and turned into vouchers the better thats the only way to stop it!!

We all know the chances of that happening is none

They have given a very "press officer" response.

They have not denied that they are recruiting from Hungary.

They have said that they will not fill ALL the positions with Hungarians.

"Happy with the local response" doesn't really give much information. Does it?

They haven't come out and and said that the majority of vacancies will be filled by local people.

We'll just have to wait and see, unless the press chooses to forget all about it.

Edited by cgksheff