Jasmyn Chan crossing

according to my father, the star recently reported that the council had given the go ahead for a crossing to be made at the site of this tragic accident. this is a fantastic result of people power . the council stated that the cost of the crossing would be £250,000 ,which seems like a massive amount of money .does anyone know how they cost these projects? this is not an anti council thread, this crossing is really needed . it is just a honest question about how they come to such a high figure

according to my father, the star recently reported that the council had given the go ahead for a crossing to be made at the site of this tragic accident. this is a fantastic result of people power . the council stated that the cost of the crossing would be £250,000 ,which seems like a massive amount of money .does anyone know how they cost these projects? this is not an anti council thread, this crossing is really needed . it is just a honest question about how they come to such a high figure

I remember years ago when someone at work crashed into a lamppost. The insurance paid for the damaged lamp but he did see the cost and it was extortionate. I dont understand why it costs that much either.

10 council workers looking down a hole for 6 months is expensive !

10 council workers looking down a hole for 6 months is expensive !

Two people will need to supervise them too.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Two people will need to supervise them too.

Don't forget the clipboards and yellow safety jackets!

The council are oing what the council d best. Waste money. 250k? Speak to someone in the private sector youll find out it actually costs a fraction of that. Besides, Normanton hill will soon be having SYP there on a semi permanent basics with a speed camera van. Thats what the patch of land is further up the hill

Its subcontract to private firms. Private firm know they can charge what they like and get away with it.

At a meeting I attended earlier this year a Councillor stated that the new crossing on Normanton Hill would be costing around £100k.

A large portion of the claimed cost will be re-charging of existing Council services. e.g. planners, architects, surveyors, lawyers etc.

An example 2006 guide from a Wiltshire Council (without such fees) suggest a Pelican Crossing would be around £45,000 (then).

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingtransportandstreets/roadshighwaysstreetcare/costwiltshighwaysworks.htm

Edited by cgksheff

Does anyone agree that we call it the official "Jasmyn Chan Crossing" as a permanent reminder of this young and popular young girl taken away far far too soon ?

I hope this crossing doesn't cost £250K. It is well needed not only to protect old and young people crossing the road on Normanton Hill but also as a permanent reminder of the tragedy of what happened there. I also welcome the police interventions on that stretch of road because as usual "idiots" are speeding up and down the hill.

There ought to be crossings all over the area including Woodrove Avenue on Woodthorpe where people driving through the estate at "rush hour" (rarely locals) seem to think it's ok to drive at 40+ mph near our local primary school.

Does anyone agree that we call it the official "Jasmyn Chan Crossing" as a permanent reminder of this young and popular young girl taken away far far too soon ?

Sorry but i dont agree. I don t think it will be a good idea at all.