Taxi drivers becoming a problem?

I try not to use black taxis they usually smell of sick perhaps I was just unlucky.

Edited by d71146

I will NEVER EVER get in a black cab again unless it's been pre-booked!

After a night out in town with my friend and her other half we decided to jump into a passing black cab to get home.

As it's sensible to try and not leave anyone alone with a total stranger my friends decided they would drop me off home first!

We continued our conversations amonst ourselves in the back of the cab not really taking any notice to the driver as he seemed to know where he was going!

I got home, paid my friends my share of the fare and went into the house and the cab drove off with the other 2 in. After about 10 mins i had a knock on my door, thinking iv left something behind in the cab that my friends were returning (I'v done this several times) i ran downstairs in my nightware opened the door to a weird looking bloke at the door! Oh yes it was the cab driver that had come back to my house after dropping off my friends home to ask if he could come in!!!! My partner heard him from upstairs and came running down and chased him back into the cab where he drove off! I was lucky someone else was in the house or who knows what would have happened!!!

Lesson learned! I had no idea of the company he was driving for as i didn't take notice, it all happened so quickly we didn't get a reg of the cab and i had NO idea what this guy looked like to give a decent description to the police as the only time i saw his face was at the door and i had no glasses on!

This slime ball is probably still doing the same to other people!

If its a black cab, report it the council and also see if you can give a report to the police. If hes done this to you, hes probably done this to others, unfortunately.

I avoid getting a cab whenever possible. Won't use City at all because one of their cab drivers nicked a phone off me. I needed to go into my husband to get the money for the fare and he refused to let me go and locked the doors. I didn't have any money so didn't know what to do and he said, 'Well give me your phone so I know you're going to come back'. Didn't feel like I had any choice so I gave him the phone, he promptly drove off with the phone and City didn't want to know.

I would say I've had unwanted sexual advances or the cab driver trying to chat me up about 1 in 5 times I've got in a taxi and on one or two occasions it's turned nasty when I've made it clear I'm not interested. Bear in mind I'm in my 30s and wearing a wedding ring it must be pretty unpleasant for young girls. Also I've noticed fairly frequently you get drivers who have absolutely no idea where even the simplest destinations in Sheffield are and speak almost no English. I don't really believe that they are the licence holders and suspect that sometimes the licence holders let their cabs out to unlicenced drivers when they're not on the road. I've also seen a hell of a lot of dangerous driving.

I suspect that the council is fully aware of these problems, but I think they probably ignore them for the same reasons they ignored the grooming scandals, which incidentally have often involved cab drivers.

---------- Post added 11-11-2014 at 20:16 ----------

I would never let a child of mine use a cab. They're nowhere near old enough yet but when they're old enough to go out I intend to go out whatever the time at night and collect them. Of course I will wait round the corner so their mate's don't see me.

---------- Post added 11-11-2014 at 20:24 ----------

Sheffield Black cabs & licensing meeting.

It is only natural and normal for Sheffield cabs to go off like that. It is no problem and there is no need for them to be any different or change.

What's happening in that video? It's hard to follow.

I get down ok and I drive a Vauxhall Vetra Estate

Try it with a lwb transit impossible as there parked right up to the junction.

Seems like a large proportion of Sheffield Hackney taxi drivers should be replaced by the finest, friendliest and most engaging taxi drivers i have had the pleasure of being a passenger with. Glasgow Hackney taxis!

I've never seen an Asian taxi driver in Glasgow.(Ooh, controversial i hear you say?) Well so what, it's true. And i notice the difference when i visit Sheffield. Miserable set of sods in Sheffield, and always acting gormless (more deviant) when going off- route.

In Glasgow, if a taxi makes an error and takes a longer journey to your destination you can bet he/she will inform you and knock off any extra charges.

If Glasgow is so blooming great, why the hell are you always on here ?

If Glasgow is so blooming great, why the hell are you always on here ?

1. I spent 37 years living in Sheffield.

2.Glasgow forum is crap.

3. Sheffield forums busy

4. I love the miserable whingers on here.

5. I'm not always on here.

6. Go boil your head.

1. I spent 37 years living in Sheffield.

2.Glasgow forum is crap.

3. Sheffield forums busy

4. I love the miserable whingers on here.

5. I'm not always on here.

6. Go boil your head.

:hihi:

Easy on the Buckfast, Angus. It's not quite 9pm yet

:hihi:

Easy on the Buckfast, Angus. It's not quite 9pm yet

Haha!

Have you tasted Buckie? It's like the medicine ma used to force down my mouth as a kid. Sweet, thick and sickly.

Strange thing is it's made in England. I never heard of it when i lived down there.:huh:

I find that surprising, because I think High Green is probably further out than any of those areas and I've never had a driver refuse to take me.

I caught one on Saturday night from Sheffield Station to High Green and whilst the driver was a miserable object, there was never any question of him not taking me.

Maybe it's because I usually jump in the cab before telling them my destination. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

i've noticed before on posts that we live a few streets apart, i get a taxi once a month from city centre back to high green after a night out about 2 am via a black cab.

prices vary can be £16 has been £25 before, they always try and get lost on the top route after turning off penistone or fox hill etc.

last week i get in said high green and he goes you want me to go chesterfield road or london road/ abbeydale road! er like the opposite saide of town

he then tries to drive past the burngreave turn off etc and when i have a moan saying did you pass the knowledge test shouldn't you know the roads etc he makes out its my fault for not tellin him each and every turn.

standard con i think its more or less everytime i get a taxi home after a night on the tiles and they think they can take advantage and earn a few quid more.

Not on double yellow lines they're not, nor are they allowed to use bus stops as taxi ranks either

The HC disagrees with your first assertion:

"Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge. You may stop to load or unload (unless there are also loading restrictions as described below) or while passengers board or alight. Double yellow lines mean no waiting at any time, unless there are signs that specifically indicate seasonal restrictions. The times at which the restrictions apply for other road markings are shown on nearby plates or on entry signs to controlled parking zones. If no days are shown on the signs, the restrictions are in force every day including Sundays and Bank Holidays. White bay markings and upright signs (see below) indicate where parking is allowed."

We need the uber app to come to Sheffield. I have used the app in Manchester and London. Great bit of technology.

Absolutely. It's great. I think it is going to be happening too from what I've read.