Taxi drivers becoming a problem?

On a number of occasions after a night out with friends I've struggled to get a taxi. Hackney carriages will turn up and either refuse to take me due to the distance or they'll refuse to put the meter on and demand extra money.

Now I'm sure that being a taxi driver is hard work and you have to deal with some less than desirable characters, but surely drivers rejecting to take people home is a concern for Sheffield City Council?

I'm always happy to pay the fare up front (I live in Killamarsh so it's a bit further out), but only on the condition that the driver puts the meter on. The moment I mention this they refuse to take me, and I know a lot of other people who suffer the same treatment.

Hackney carriages licences state that drivers cannot refuse to accept a fare unless it is out of their licensing jurisdication...unless they have reason to believe that you cannot pay the fare. Surely handing the money over at the start of the journey shows you have the means to pay, so how can they refuse?

I don't think the council are putting enough time into enforcing the rules...and it makes Sheffield a more dangerous place to go. Imagine if a young girl was refused a taxi home and then got attacked? There'd be uproar.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Council enforcing rules?

Last taxi driver I spoke with gets fines from council for driving through taxi bus lanes with his taxi.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I go back to High Green or Grenoside on a weekly basis and I've never had a problem.

I had a bit of a disaster in Nottingham on Saturday night, just missing my link train to Derby. I had to jump in a taxi at Nottingham station and the driver was more than happy to drive me the 15 miles to Derby Station....That was a £30 I wasn't expecting. :mad:

Is Killamarsh outside the Sheffield boundary? - I thought there was usually an extra charge for heading outside the city boundary.

Regards

Doom

Killamarsh is a strange one...some say it is and some say it isn't. If it was just Killamarsh I wouldn't be asking...the same happens to friends/family/acquaintances going to Birley, Mosborough, Beighton etc...

Say you're going to Halfway when you get in the taxi and walk a bit, or only specify the address when you get closer.

Killamarsh is a strange one...some say it is and some say it isn't. If it was just Killamarsh I wouldn't be asking...the same happens to friends/family/acquaintances going to Birley, Mosborough, Beighton etc...
HHmmmm. Those are all quite far out. I wonder if there is less profit in those trips? Yes they make money on the way out but then they have to get back into Sheffield for their next fare.

Maybe I'm being cynical:?

Next time say you pretend as if you need to be on Mansfield road when you get in.

Then do as if you make a phone call with a friend while on the way and change the destination to killamarsh.

I think the point is they shouldn't be doing that as it's against the rules of their licence.

As a few have mentioned, I could say a different destination but they're still funny about that due to it being further than they'd like. I can only imagine it's down to the time it takes and the potential to get another fare. If that's the case though they should become a private hire vehicle and just select the work they want. Hackney carriages are legally obliged to take you but are still refusing.

I find that surprising, because I think High Green is probably further out than any of those areas and I've never had a driver refuse to take me.

I caught one on Saturday night from Sheffield Station to High Green and whilst the driver was a miserable object, there was never any question of him not taking me.

Maybe it's because I usually jump in the cab before telling them my destination. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Maybe it's got something to do with the time? I usually get a taxi at about 1.30am-2am. I leave before the club/bar closes but maybe they want to be back in town for closing time.

It's still beside the point though...friends/family are Police officers and they tell me that it's a regular occurence and taxi drivers are becoming a big nuisance for them.

If there are any taxi drivers on here I'm sure they must have some idea as to the reasons why.....Perhaps they could explain.

I've just done a quick check and High Green is a similar distance to Halfway from town, although Killamarsh is a bit further and over the boundary into Derbyshire.

These days I tend to get taxis around 11pm, so it's not particularly late on.

Regards

Doom

I suspect the drivers picking up at Sheffield Station expect to be driving longer journeys, whilst the ones picking up people on a night out elsewhere hope/expect to be doing a lot more shorter trips, picking up in and out of town, and clocking more money from the minimum fee and tips.

People usually round up don't they, so three short journeys is always going to net a lot more than one long journey.

Here's another potential problem to add to the list. Do you share a taxi journey with friends on the way home? I know most people do. Last week at work some colleagues were moaning about getting in a taxi together, and when the first girl got out the taxi driver demanded payment and then reset the clock.