What's a dee-dar ?

My OH's colleague sadi to him once

"Da knows dee mate? all favours I've done dee, dye ought to let me shag dar lass da knows"

I turned him down.

Da dunt do dat.

I couldn't say you until I was 7, I could only say Thee. I thought Deedars was used on us by Rotherhamites though ?:confused:

Some inbred Barnsley moron spied my Blades shirt at the bus stop and launched a rather nasty and totally unprovoked verbal attack which included 'dee-dar', amongst other things I can't repeat here.

Perhaps they should listen to themselves speak before attacking me. I've got a broad Sheffield accent and have never said 'dee' or for that matter 'dar'.

Spot the irony here.

People from Barnsley mocking the accent of anyone, when they all seem to be doing stereotypical comedy Yorkshireman impersonations...

Spot the irony here.

People from Barnsley mocking the accent of anyone, when they all seem to be doing stereotypical comedy Yorkshireman impersonations...

and somebody with the name of al partridge would know all about stereotypical comedy impersonations wouldn't they :hihi:

First time I heard this term was from Bobby Knutt...so him out Castleton in his car and he said " your a Dee Dah" never heard it before, so did Mr Knutt invent this saying?

A mate I used to have from Chesterfield called it me, I had never heard it before and didnt know what she was on about!

I actually have never said dee dar either as my mum would have killed me for using such language as a kid!!!

Most people I meet dont even think I am from Sheffield any way.

Yep, used to live in Chesterfield and heard it used all the time as a term describing Sheffield folk. I do occasionally call it the OH as he has such a broad accent sometimes i can't understand him. bless :hihi:

today at work a bloke told me his mate..who now lives up here but is originally from Barnsley.

he was on about me to him and the mate said "oh he's a deedar then"

lol i was in stitches when he told me what it means.........i've never heard the term before, has anybody else?

it must be what Barnsley folk call us Sheffielders, as they talk like thi and tha and we are supposed to say Dee and Daa

its hard to explain what i mean in text.........i suppose it means we're not as broad yorkshire as the Barnsley lot?

more D and less T

:hihi::hihi: think its due to Most People from Sheffield Miss the start end and middle out of their words.:loopy::loopy:

Perhaps they should listen to themselves speak before attacking me. I've got a broad Sheffield accent and have never said 'dee' or for that matter 'dar'.

The only people I've ever heard speak like that have been from Barnsley.

The only people I've ever heard speak like that have been from Barnsley.

My point exactly!

Dragged up ont' Ackenthorpe, we all talked like dat, I'm tellin di.