What's a dee-dar ?

But what about dee doh (thee though)? And if you can't remember someone's name (therefore call them thingy = fingy) and you want to know their opinion, it goes like this:

Ah abaht dee doh den, fingy?.;)

But my favourite is still a single word - supwidee.?.:D

i can't pronounce th so i say it as a f i fink thats just beacuse i am fick tho not cus i'm from sheffield

It is actually dee dah.

Until fairly recently Sheffielders used a 'd' instead of 'th'.

Instead of saying 'Thee' and 'Thah', they would say 'Dee' and 'Dah'

Sheffield dominated batallions in WW One were nicknamed 'Dee dahs' by other units and it stuck after the war was over.

I believe that the local usage died out during the 1950s, but obviously the news hasn't reached Barnsley yet.

about the last entry, I do not know what I was thinking of.

It should, of course, be 'Dee da' from 'Thee, tha'.

Dee dar is a dumb copper a bright one is a nee nar

gawd dont ya know kiddie winkie language lol:hihi::hihi:

Hello, I was living there for one year, and I really like your accent! I would really appreciate your tips as locals since i'm searching for information about this phenomenon so as to develop a sociolinguistic study to study perceptions of people from South Yorkshire regarding locals being called "dee-dah".  However, I have some doubts that maybe you can solve: 

I would like to know up to what point this is just a local phenomenon from Sheffield or whether people people from Barnsley or Chesterfield are also using d instead of t ? Another question is concerned with the use of pronouns thee and thou...are also used in Derbyshire or rest South Yorkshire (being pronounced with t) or pronouns thee and thou are only used in Sheffield? 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Bart11

4 hours ago, Bart11 said:

Hello, I was living there for one year, and I really like your accent! I would really appreciate your tips as locals since i'm searching for information about this phenomenon so as to develop a sociolinguistic study to study perceptions of people from South Yorkshire regarding locals being called "dee-dah".  However, I have some doubts that maybe you can solve: 

I would like to know up to what point this is just a local phenomenon from Sheffield or whether people people from Barnsley or Chesterfield are also using d instead of t ? Another question is concerned with the use of pronouns thee and thou...are also used in Derbyshire or rest South Yorkshire (being pronounced with t) or pronouns thee and thou are only used in Sheffield? 

Thanks in advance!

When I was in east Yorkshire on the coast, the visitors were called 'comforts' ... comfort day, comfort week, comfort month!!!

I worked in Leeds for a few years and anyone who came from Sheffield was automatically referred to as a 'Dee dah dooley'. I'd never heard it said before so they had to explain it to me even though I'm Sheffield born and bred. Funny thing was though, their accents were so strong I could never understand anything they said. 😀

On 17/03/2021 at 17:40, Rollypolly said:

I worked in Leeds for a few years and anyone who came from Sheffield was automatically referred to as a 'Dee dah dooley'. I'd never heard it said before so they had to explain it to me even though I'm Sheffield born and bred. Funny thing was though, their accents were so strong I could never understand anything they said. 😀

I worked in Leeds for a while, they are referred to as Wessies. 

Guest busdriver1

I have only heard it used as an insult.

Strangely the term Geordie started off as an insult but has now been taken on as a badge of pride by Geordies. Oh dear

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I have only heard it used as an insult.

Strangely the term Geordie started off as an insult but has now been taken on as a badge of pride by Geordies. Oh dear

Here in the west country the visitors are referred to as Grockles in Somerset and Devon and Emmets in Cornwall, just ignorant locals I'm afraid. You tend to find that the people who use that derogatory term are usually 'Grockles' or 'Emmets' themselves. I would never use a term like that, I find it offensive. Lets face it, if the west country doesn't have the visitors the place is finished. You can't run a council on beautiful beaches and pasties. As for a cream tea, dairy first then jam, ha, ha; Cornwall do it the other way round, chuffin Cornish, ha, ha. Your rough cider is in Gloucestershire, Somerset and Devon, Cornwall is not known for its cider, mind you Healey's at Goonhavern do a pretty good one called Rattler.  Lesson over, ha, ha!!

Bit of inverted snobbery- my dad, a Yorkshire man born and bred, regularly used thee and tha but looked down on the young man I brought home 50 years ago who used ‘de and da’. He told me ‘tha can do better than that’, hopefully that young man has made a fortune somewhere 

I was born in Buxton (Derbyshire)  does that make me a Dee Dar?