Crewe vs Blades FA Cup

Not too bothered about this competition. I'll get excited when we get to the semi finals again :P

Just got it and still haven't reacquainted myself with the tips of my fingers, blimey it was a cold one today in that soul-less, open little ground. I wasn't going but got offered a ticket so ventured down and to be honest for all the frustration that I have brought home with me I probably wish I hadn't.

Regardless of another commanding performance and total domination we have come away from it with a bloody replay.

I can't even be bothered to go into it because bully boy tactics on the forum don't allow me to have an opinion however all I will say is Woodwork twice, offside goal, missed a sitter and had more than enough chances to put it to bed.

Crewe like everyone we play at the minute were negative and camped every single player behind the ball. We could have won, we should have won, annoyed that clough didn't go two up top but oh well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29970463 - Highlights

Just got it and still haven't reacquainted myself with the tips of my fingers, blimey it was a cold one today in that soul-less, open little ground. I wasn't going but got offered a ticket so ventured down and to be honest for all the frustration that I have brought home with me I probably wish I hadn't.

Regardless of another commanding performance and total domination we have come away from it with a bloody replay.

I can't even be bothered to go into it because bully boy tactics on the forum don't allow me to have an opinion however all I will say is Woodwork twice, offside goal, missed a sitter and had more than enough chances to put it to bed.

Crewe like everyone we play at the minute were negative and camped every single player behind the ball. We could have won, we should have won, annoyed that clough didn't go two up top but oh well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29970463 - Highlights

What do you reckon we need BB in terms of players and positions?

What do you reckon we need BB in terms of players and positions?

Two up front would have done it today Jon. We hammered them, probably one of our most convincing performances all round this season. They camped everyone behind the ball and if you look in the highlights I posted, well that was the only time they really bothered us.

The amount of times that we dangerous balls in the box I lost count of. Cloughy tried things a bit different and allowed different players to get forward at different times as in murphy and baxter, that worked to an extent and we made chances but never the less we need a standard 4-4-2 and then we can expect the midfielders to do the same from midfield. We have the players for it within the squad already.

If that would have been a league game then I would be mega angry at 2 points dropped from in a commanding game.

BB, why not go into it? Who cares what people think of your posting style, if they can't be doing with you then they won't read it, if it gets some opinions and debates going, all good 'eh?

Too true pal.

Some of us are house bound and get our information from the likes of you and Grappler. although no substitute for the real thing it's like being in the pub and having a natter, I appreciate you lads putting the time and effort into posting match reports.

There's always two sides to a coin mate, some like - some don't, but never forget that some of us appreciate your reports.

I think this statement from the post match report on the official crewe website says it all.

"The Blades looked more likely to score throughout, but Davis praised his side’s grit and determination in keeping the high-flying side at bay"

Read more at http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/8nov14-steve-post-sheff-u-fa-cup-2071351.aspx#rytiLI5xXIIUXE6H.99

Crewe did what they did a few week back again and parked everything behind the ball and clung on for dear life. We ran them ragged and enjoyed most of the possession and created plenty of decent chances considering.

Surprised to see that their gaffer doesn't believe that we got in behind them much as we did on many occasion. We played a wide game and got the ball down the wings and JCR, Flynn and Murphy all ran them ragged out wide. I would go as far as to say that they couldn't handle us which considering a 0-0 scoreline doesn't sound right but it is.

The formation that we are playing works in the sense that we boss the midfield, that we commanded possession and dictate the game however in the final third we are missing the natural strikers. With the quality of the balls and the danger they posed a natural striker would have had a field day in there today, a natural poacher like McNulty and even Chris Porter who was on the bench would have loved that service.

The frustrating thing is that I personally don't think we really need anyone new bringing in to the picture. I mean ok another striker is always welcome but we have the core ingredients of a very good team who are more than capable of picking up points every game.

There has to be a point where Clough and his team sit down and say "blimey had a striker been on the pitch then he would have buried it". Chance after chance going begging again today. Baxter got himself in a decent position and fluffed a decent chance which was also frustrating.

I know we all moan about it but luck played a big part today which only added to the frustration. We knocked away at the woodwork again but as I said we put quality balls in the box and the ball bounced off crewe backsides, thighs and backs on out safe.

We know now more than anything how teams like to play against us. When you have 11 players behind the ball you need that natural goal scorer in the box who will poach and put it away. We create more than enough chances to win games handsomely and like I said we have the answers within the squad already.

Diego came on and looked busy today that is a positive I will take out of the game. The York stint seems to have given him a little bit of confidence and at the same time should have given Cloughy something to think about, I would personally start him in the paint pot cup midweek.

You can't knock our performances in general they are solid. The possession, creativity and everything else is more than enough. The final third well this for me is down to tactics and formation.

Oh and a mention must again go to the travelling fans who were a different class all game again. Not sure on actual following attendance however we were loud and showed Crewe just how passionate we are singing start to finish and gee'ing them on every single time we went forward.

Going back to what I said earlier, In the second half of the game songs rang out in the away end telling cloughy that we needed a striker on the pitch. Whether it fell on deaf ears who knows but the fans can see it so why can't he. Not knocking him as he is still a good manager however hopefully he addresses this and sorts it out.

Thanks for that, good report and echos a few of our last few performances.

Don't know if any of you go on Bladesmad, I do but don't post, this is the only forum that I post on and that came about by accident.

There's a bloke on there Roygbiv that does a 'View from' where he posts the comments from the boards of the supporters of the team we've just played.

It's interesting and sometimes very funny when you read the sour grapes comments of some opposing supporters.

On the other hand some fans are fair and call it as they see it.

The Crewe - and Charlton - fans have been reasonable in their comments.

One observation today was that we 'overwhelmed them' and 'any decent striker would have made us suffer'.

This has been the story of our season thus far.

I am a fan of Nigel but can understand some of the frustration of fans which I feel also.

Thing is, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, investment in a couple of goalscorers would surely almost guarantee promotion but obviously it isn;t as simple as that.

My only hope is that we are not pinning our hopes on a player who hasn't played for two and a half years, and will take at least six months to get up to speed, if he ever does again.

Thanks for that, good report and echos a few of our last few performances.

Don't know if any of you go on Bladesmad, I do but don't post, this is the only forum that I post on and that came about by accident.

There's a bloke on there Roygbiv that does a 'View from' where he posts the comments from the boards of the supporters of the team we've just played.

It's interesting and sometimes very funny when you read the sour grapes comments of some opposing supporters.

On the other hand some fans are fair and call it as they see it.

The Crewe - and Charlton - fans have been reasonable in their comments.

One observation today was that we 'overwhelmed them' and 'any decent striker would have made us suffer'.

This has been the story of our season thus far.

I am a fan of Nigel but can understand some of the frustration of fans which I feel also.

Thing is, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, investment in a couple of goalscorers would surely almost guarantee promotion but obviously it isn;t as simple as that.

My only hope is that we are not pinning our hopes on a player who hasn't played for two and a half years, and will take at least six months to get up to speed, if he ever does again.

I honestly whole-heartedly believe that we have a 20+ striker in Mcnulty mate. The lad is an out and out poacher and a defenders nightmare. He's quick off the mark and gets himself into the right dangerous areas.

Of course we wouldn't know this striker coming into the club because we can't turn down potential extra quality however I do think we have plenty in there if it is played correctly.

I honestly whole-heartedly believe that we have a 20+ striker in Mcnulty mate. The lad is an out and out poacher and a defenders nightmare. He's quick off the mark and gets himself into the right dangerous areas.

.......and sometimes into the wrong dangerous areas. :hihi: