Animal welfare in sheffield today

If the RSPCA is no longer able to assist in a good way when animals are being ill treated then who will ? we cannot have a society which allows animals to be abused so if we come to know of this how do you proceed ?As an animal carer I have come across some hard cases where the animals are not cared for in a good way , for instance a rabbit with Myxi left because she thought it was only a cold !!! rabbits with teeth curled into their mouths , claws also left un trimmed ! animals need a safety net so how do we gain this ? could the RSPCA be given new powers and work alongside police ( spca in africa have rights of police ) Do we require that here ?

---------- Post added 08-11-2014 at 15:53 ----------

I have just been speaking to a friend in local radio she suggests we could have a debate and along with sheffield online some good could come out of a bad situation , if everyone contribute positivity we may get a good amount of news coverage to help animal in distress and high light loop holes in the animals laws which as i am passionate about animal care would be useful also we could begin a public consultation into animal welfare rights and work with other organisations

Edited by teeny

Count me in. I can't believe what I have seen and not been able to do anything about it is beyond a joke... This is why I hardy post of here anymore

Why would you want to give power to an organisation that earns in excess of £120 million a year and yet isn't accountable for what it actually does?

The RSPCA's remit is to raise money for the RSPCA (imho).

It's no different to some aspects of animal welfare and training - just because the RSPCA support it doesn't make it right.

Did your thread get removed Del? Did you see my post asking about whether it might be worth going to the council?

If people want to discuss animal welfare thats fine, but I'm afraid that there can be no discussion of specific threads or cases here, threads are removed for a reason and I see this one going the same way.

Gemma please pm if you would like to discuss as I don't want teenys thread disapearing

Why would you want to give power to an organisation that earns in excess of £120 million a year and yet isn't accountable for what it actually does?

The RSPCA's remit is to raise money for the RSPCA (imho).

It's no different to some aspects of animal welfare and training - just because the RSPCA support it doesn't make it right.

sheffield on line are very interested in this subject would you want to council to have extra powers alongside the police

I am not sure the RSPCA are doing what they were originally set up to do ! Now i have seen first hand how the SPCA work out in Bulawayo in particularly with donkeys ( which are often ill treated in africa ) dogs and goats

People there are warned and if the improvements asked for aren't adhered to they are taken by the SPCA officer and police to court animals can be taken from their owners there is a lot of positives to this kind of policing , without name calling here or naming anyone there are breeders out there who need to up their acts making conditions better for dogs, cats , rabbits and guinea pigs ( all small animal breeders ).

I am passionate about animal care as both a carer and owner of animals, Rabbits for instance are bred in small cages which is wrong rabbit welfare recommend 6ft by 2ft by 2ft there needs to be people like dogs trust or another protection for dogs and cats alike any ideas sheffield folk

People have to make our Government know that this is something they are passionate about. However, due to lack of knowledge how to get laws changed in this country and how difficult it is made for the general public to actually have a voice, our views and concerns are not usually heard or actioned.

The council - just like they are in america, are the ones that should deal with this - however, they too need to be monitored and watched and have to conform to standards. I am a member of the ADCH which is setting out standards for what animal welfare organisations should conform to as a standard. However, my issue is that the councils do not have to hold their dogs in conditions that conform to any standard and if they are policing things - and find that acceptable - even if its down to monetary issues, then again - we have no standards. Every organisation should be accountable and monitored when they are performing auditing methods themselves.

I think approaching your own MP's would be the best place to start but draw up an action plan for the campaign because it is a campaign. We have tried it before but apathy won in the end. If you are strong and keen - and mean it, do something but debating without a true target will not get anything changed.