'English only' rule for Lidl

Warsaw to Poland in one Tank according to Clarkson!.....;)

I've only read the first few posts so apologies if this has already been stated.

I used to work nights and the rest if my team were all Zimbabwean and spoke Shona as their mother tongue. After a couple of nights of being totally excluded from chit-chat / banter during breaks I asked if they would speak English. They did. Gosh. I've bored myself with that story.

What a stupid decision by Lidl. Conversations held between colleagues in private should be that - private.

If a customer whose first language isn't English goes in to one of their stores and needs assistance, would Lidl back that employee who says 'I'm not allowed to help the customer because they don't speak English'?

How do know staff talking to each other in a Foreign language arnt planning to steal from the shop ? Arnt slagging off their employers ? Arnt slagging off other members of staff. ? You dont ,so being made to talk in English ,even in private conversations whilst at work is a brilliant idea.

Warsaw to Poland in one Tank according to Clarkson!.....;)

London to England in one tank. I'd stay off the Clarkson jerky if i were you.

Pity we can't make the people of Barnsley and Penistone speak English.

How do know staff talking to each other in a Foreign language arnt planning to steal from the shop ? Arnt slagging off their employers ? Arnt slagging off other members of staff. ? You dont ,so being made to talk in English ,even in private conversations whilst at work is a brilliant idea.

Do you even realise how wrong that sounds?

Paranoid or what.

This is hogwash.

First, you are starting with the deeply offensive and baseless assumption that Welsh and Polish employees are all determimed, or at the very least likely, to breach their contracts or even commit crimes.

Second, even if they were, they would surely discuss their nefarious plans off the premises, not in full view or earshot of others or CCTV.

Third, you do not prevent people behaving badly by banning one or another mode of communication

Finally...since nobody has yet managed to justify Lidl's banning of the use of Welsh in a country where Welsh has official language status, I think we must conclude that Lidl are a bunch of fascists and I urge you to tell them so.

Edited by aliceBB

If they were so minded to do these things, preventing them speaking their mother tongue wouldn't stop them....I mean it hasn't prevented English people engaging in these practices.

Face it, the reason why you & others with the same narrow mindedness like this decision is because it panders to your little England mentality.

Pity we can't make the people of Barnsley and Penistone speak English.

:D:D Wot u callin bout? !!

Finally...since nobody has yet managed to justify Lidl's banning of the use of Welsh in a country where Welsh has official language status, I think we must conclude that Lidl are a bunch of fascists and I urge you to tell them so.

The justification is that its very unlikely that everyone working or using the store will be able to speak Welsh, but its highly likley they can all speak English.

It's highly amusing that some people seem to believe that foreign languages only exist as a means to "slag us Brits off" without us knowing. :hihi: