'English only' rule for Lidl

What would appear to be an own goal by Lidl is in fact a dog whistle to the provincial, little English element, saying 'this is a local shop, for local people'. Tubbs and Edward Tatsyrup :hihi:

Sounds pretty evil to me. Sounds like you support sweat shops and slave labour. Your attitude is, yes, you can employ people however you want, but you might not get any customers if you treat your staff like that?

That's right, unethical businesses wouldn't do so well because most ethical people would refuse to do business with them, no need for regulations, oh wait people keep buying stuff that is made in unethical businesses that operate in China and other parts of the world. Price does appear to be king, most peoples ethics go out the window when they see a bargain.

That's right, unethical businesses wouldn't do so well because most ethical people would refuse to do business with them, no need for regulations, oh wait people keep buying stuff that is made in unethical businesses that operate in China and other parts of the world. Price does appear to be king, most peoples ethics go out the window when they see a bargain.

Such an appalling view. Completely evil. What should happen, is businesses and governments should act ethically in the first place.

I bet you jumped on the boycott KFC band wagon when they started selling halal meat. You've got no morals at all.

Such an appalling view. Completely evil. What should happen, is businesses and governments should act ethically in the first place.

I bet you jumped on the boycott KFC band wagon when they started selling halal meat. You've got no morals at all.

Why should a business owned by someone other than you do what you want them to do?

I like KFC so would never boycott them.

Why should a business owned by someone other than you do what you want them to do?

I like KFC so would never boycott them.

Really? Business should be able to get away with whatever they want? You think that's acceptable?

Really? Business should be able to get away with whatever they want? You think that's acceptable?

No, there should be some rules about quality, healths and safety, tax, passed by government.

No, there should be some rules about quality, healths and safety, tax, passed by government.

So business do need to be regulated.

So business do need to be regulated.

Yes but not excessively.

Perhaps the employees who feel more comfortable speaking their mother tongue to each other in the staffroom (if it is not English) would feel less inclined to do so if the majority made them feel more welcome and included them in their conversations more often.

As to preventing people insulting others under the cloak of unintelligibility, that's nonsense. The problem with laying down the law as to how people speak in private is that you risk creating far worse feeling than ever existed previously - and it goes underground. You cannot stop people thinking or feeling things simply by banning their language. Or perhaps Lidl thinks it can? If so, that way madness lies.

Edited by aliceBB

From the article:

The retailer [Lidl] said its policy is for staff to speak in English to customers, irrespective of their native language.

It comes after two staff members in Scotland were banned from speaking Polish to each other on their tea break.

I've highlighted the important part for you. For the many of you that are hard of thinking, I'll show you again:

banned from speaking Polish.

Lidl are German.

Now, I appreciate that Sheffielders are not the brightest folk in the UK or even all of Europe, but Poland and Ze Germans have quite an interesting history, don't they.

Has it sunk in yet?

It says two polish staff were banned speaking polish. Could it be that there was a third, fourth of fifth polish person who overheard these two talking and they slagging of colleagues, customers etc? There could well be more to it than has been reported.

Do we know what lidls policy is in the rest of Europe?

Perhaps the employees who feel more comfortable speaking their mother tongue to each other in the staffroom (if it is not English) would feel less inclined to do so if the majority made them feel more welcome and included them in their conversations more often.

As to preventing people insulting others under the cloak of unintelligibility, that's nonsense. The problem with laying down the law as to how people speak in private is that you risk creating far worse feeling than ever existed previously - and it goes underground. You cannot stop people thinking or feeling things dimply by banning their language. Or perhaps Lidl thinks it can? If so, that way madness lies.

Its a fact that most of Lidls British employees won't be able to join a conversation in Polish, but the English speaking Polish worker can join in the conversation being spoken in English.

Do we know what lidls policy is in the rest of Europe?

Yes. Invade Poland and the rest of the Europe will fall.