'English only' rule for Lidl

In the interests - they claim - of 'inclusivity', Lidl has banned its staff from speaking any language other than English in its stores, even in private conversations during their breaks:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29956188

I can see the point of that policy when they are dealing with customers, or even on the shop floor generally (although Indian, Italian and Greek restaurant staff in this country have conversed in their mother tongue for decades without offending customers).

It also rides roughshod over Welsh speakers in Welsh stores (Welsh has official language status in Wales) - unbelievable, really.

Should your employer be able to dictate what language you speak in private? I don't think so.

Edited by aliceBB

Bit harsh to ban it in private conversations! On another note I avoid all shops that have mostly foreign language on the front I speak English in England so that shop has nothing to offer me

In the interests - they claim - of 'inclusivity', Lidl has banned its staff from speaking any language other than English in its stores, even in private conversations during their breaks:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29956188

I can see the point of that policy when they are dealing with customers, or even on the shop floor generally (although Indian, Italian and Greek restaurant staff in this country have conversed in their mother tongue for decades without offending customers).

It also rides roughshod over Welsh speakers in Welsh stores (Welsh has official language status in Wales) - unbelievable, really.

Should your employer be able to dictate what language you speak in private? I don't think so.

Of course you can speak any language you prefer in PRIVATE, but how many times does the situation arise where you enter a room and the occupants are speaking English and then very quickly revert to a foreign tongue because you have disturbed their space.

Of course you can speak any language you prefer in PRIVATE,

Well, no, apparently you cannot, according to Lidl.

but how many times does the situation arise where you enter a room and the occupants are speaking English and then very quickly revert to a foreign tongue because you have disturbed their space.

What?! Touch of paranoia there, methinks.

Well, no, apparently you cannot, according to Lidl.

What?! Touch of paranoia there, methinks.

That's not paranoia I've experienced it in loads of shops.

That's not paranoia I've experienced it in loads of shops.

I am sorry but I do not believe you. I have been in lots of shops where I have heard languages and dialects other than Standard English being spoken, but none where the staff are speaking English as I enter but switch to something else when they see me! Perhaps I am just more friendly- looking than you. Or perhaps you are exaggerating wildly....

What a stupid decision by Lidl. Conversations held between colleagues in private should be that - private.

If a customer whose first language isn't English goes in to one of their stores and needs assistance, would Lidl back that employee who says 'I'm not allowed to help the customer because they don't speak English'?

What a stupid decision by Lidl. Conversations held between colleagues in private should be that - private.

If a customer whose first language isn't English goes in to one of their stores and needs assistance, would Lidl back that employee who says 'I'm not allowed to help the customer because they don't speak English'?

No, apparently (in the intetests of Profit!), staff are allowed to help customers in the customer's first language even if it is not English.

But you are right, it is a stupid decision - worse than stupid, in fact. Bordering on fascist?

I doubt whether 'inclusivity' is the reason why they are introducing this policy. That sounds like spin after the event to me.

Well done Lidl for taking this step towards "inclusivity",i am totally fed up of hearing anything but English being spoken everywhere in this country by people who are obviously resident here,but choose to make it a "sub-division of their own country,the goverment should bring this out and say that people living here should speak English when in public,my partner is Dutch and there the people coming in to the country are made to learn Dutch.

Well done Lidl for taking this step towards "inclusivity",i am totally fed up of hearing anything but English being spoken everywhere in this country by people who are obviously resident here,but choose to make it a "sub-division of their own country,the goverment should bring this out and say that people living here should speak English when in public,my partner is Dutch and there the people coming in to the country are made to learn Dutch.

You appear to have missed the point.

Please explain why it is a problem for you if two work colleagues (who speak English, as requested/required when dealing with customers), hold a private conversation in Welsh ( or Polish or any other language, for that matter) during their tea break?

You appear to have missed the point.

Please explain why it is a problem for you if two work colleagues (who speak English, as requested/required when dealing with customers), hold a private conversation in Welsh ( or Polish or any other language, for that matter) during their tea break?

Because in any workplace cliques form. There can be bullying, factions, people ganging up on others, backbiting, rumours, sniping and snakepits an atmosphere of us and them if you will. This might go some way to removing that.

If everyone has to communicate in the same language there can be no misunderstandings, no mistakes, no ill feeling, its a level playing field. This isn't about oppression or about removing choice its about making sure everyone can be clearly understood. How is that a bad thing?