New LED street lights

The plans were available earlier plus they did roadshows.

They tend to be putting them between houses which seems fair enough to me.

I did drive around shire green the other day and saw the old lampposts had been painted and transformed into information signs which was a nice example of reuse. Do they plan to do this in all areas? I do love the design of the old cast iron posts and am tempted to buy one, even though I suspect I wouldn't use it, although two might make nice columns for a entrance porch or similar.

I believe a lady in Hillsborough prevented a street light being moved a few yards to outside her house yesterday ! Having lived with a street light outside our bedroom window for over 30 years I totally sympathise with her . I'm dreading when they change it to LED .At the moment we have normal curtains with a lining then separate blackout lining and still the light seeps over .Should the council be allowed to move a street light without discussing with the houses first ? When they put the current light in it was even brighter ! I phoned the council and asked them to turn it down ,which they did . Can the new LED ones be dimmed .

LED's are more directional, and direct the light downwards to the road, there is less ambient bleeding from them than traditional street lights...

This reduces glare from an angle, and also reduces the amount of light bleed into peoples houses....

I really can't see what the complaint is about - having had one directly outside my window (before I moved) I can say the LED's are much better...

Ghozer what type of house do you live in ? I think there are more problems with the lights if you live in terraced housing .The light is only 2 meters away from our window .Unless you actually have curtains trailing on the floor light will definitely get in .

We've just got the new lights. Tonight I've noticed them gently swaying in the wind, even though its not very windy. Has anyone else seen this ?

LED's are more directional, and direct the light downwards to the road, there is less ambient bleeding from them than traditional street lights...

They seem to provide more of a conical "funnel" of light, definitely more directional.

I have an LED street light positioned near to a window and it's much less intrusive than the old light.

We've just got the new lights. Tonight I've noticed them gently swaying in the wind, even though its not very windy. Has anyone else seen this ?

be happy they weren't like these on the M62

-- but they are designed to sway in the wind, so they don't snap!

Nice to see all the new 'cost affective' street lights being put up in Sheffield. All except the ones that have been put up in and around tree's, were the branches are covering the lights,making the sensor on the top useless. Why didn't they trim the canopy, so the light sensors would work and do there job as they are suppose to do and be 'cost affective'. Is this another case of not our job or not in the budget?

Nice to see all the new 'cost affective' street lights being put up in Sheffield. All except the ones that have been put up in and around tree's, were the branches are covering the lights,making the sensor on the top useless. Why didn't they trim the canopy, so the light sensors would work and do there job as they are suppose to do and be 'cost affective'. Is this another case of not our job or not in the budget?

... so you don't think it's probably a better idea to install the lights first and then trim the trees? :huh:

Do you think that Amey will be back? lol

... so you don't think it's probably a better idea to install the lights first and then trim the trees? :huh:

Or

Dont erect them in trees, design correctly

Do you think that Amey will be back? lol

Course they will...

... they won't leave a job half finished! ;)