New LED street lights

I have just moved into a new home, on an estate with LED street lights, and for the first week I had no blinds or curtains in my bedroom and even with one of these lights just several metres away, I somehow managed to sleep or avoided damaging to my retnas.

I have just moved into a new home, on an estate with LED street lights, and for the first week I had no blinds or curtains in my bedroom and even with one of these lights just several metres away, I somehow managed to sleep or avoided damaging to my retnas.

Really - really?

Wow - Well you are the lucky one...

I must be more susceptible to the LED lights - but hold on - how do you know your retinas aren't damaged?

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 17:02 ----------

So here are some real figures:

0.0001 lux Moonless, overcast night sky (starlight)

0.002 lux Moonless clear night sky with airglow

0.27–1.0 lux Full moon on a clear night

3.4 lux Dark limit of civil twilight under a clear sky

5 lux Police recommend for safe residential streets.

2-15 lux residential road lighting.

15-30 lux main road lighting to motorway standard

50 lux max for motorway interchanges and conflict zones

50 lux Family living room lights

80 lux Office building hallway/toilet lighting

100 lux Very dark overcast day

180 lux BMW 18 latest LED headlamps.

344 lux BMW new laser headlamps

320–500 lux Office lighting

400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day.

1000 lux Overcast day or typical TV studio lighting

10000–25000 lux Full daylight (not direct sun)

32000–100000 lux Direct sunlight

And here is the difference between candelas, lux and lumens

http://www.ledlenser.com/uk/information/technology/leds-and-light/candela-lumen-lux/

"So you really have to know the numbers."

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 17:06 ----------

In summary...

Sheffield City Council have used the wrong LEDs for street lights

LEDs can easily disrupt circadian rhythms

Disrupted circadian rhythms can cause cancer and other ailments

LEDs can cause damange to the eye especially those of young children

Since the introduction of LEDs sleep has been disrupted in Sheffield by the brightness of the lights

Now I understand that some of you have not been affected, and I am glad for you, but I have, and I am concerned about the lack of due diligence that the council appear to have had in the introduction of these new lights.

Sheffield City Council have used the wrong LEDs for street lights.

So you're suggesting one of the world's leading lighting manufacturers are using the wrong LEDs in their luminaries ? Maybe you should contact them to point out their oversight.

Really - really?

...Since the introduction of LEDs sleep has been disrupted in Sheffield by the brightness of the lights

Now I understand that some of you have not been affected, and I am glad for you, but I have, and I am concerned about the lack of due diligence that the council appear to have had in the introduction of these new lights.

seriously!!!! i hear there are one or two shops that sell blinds?? try dunelm mill:roll::roll:

Lucky?

I'm with ab6262, buy some blinds and stop being such a drama-queen!

My concern is as a cyclist, I am happy to drive or walk under the lights, but as a cyclist the constant moving from light to dark patches is dangerous, my eyes do not adjust quickly enough, last night in a dark patch I hit a deep pot hole that nearly threw me into the path of an oncoming car, a couple of weeks earlier I had a similar issue with a fallen branch, it appears to me that the lights are too far apart to give an even spread of light.

Really - really?

I must be more susceptible to the LED lights - but hold on - how do you know your retinas aren't damaged?

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 17:02 ----------

And here is the difference between candelas, lux and lumens

http://www.ledlenser.com/uk/information/technology/leds-and-light/candela-lumen-lux/

"So you really have to know the numbers."

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 17:06 ----------

In summary...

Sheffield City Council have used the wrong LEDs for street lights

LEDs can easily disrupt circadian rhythms

Disrupted circadian rhythms can cause cancer and other ailments

LEDs can cause damange to the eye especially those of young children

Since the introduction of LEDs sleep has been disrupted in Sheffield by the brightness of the lights

well its about time someone sued the council:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::roll::roll::roll::loopy::loopy:

plaintif to judge.....my street lights are too bright!! its all the councils fault.

judge - stop wasting the courts time case dismissed.

Our road has now taken on the ambience of the Calais Ferryport. I hate them!

Further update.

They took the old lights away yesterday and today they've filled in the holes and tidied up. Looking very nice now.

Amazing what a spot of bad publicity can do.

Not sure I like the new lights though.

I never thought I'd say this but thanks to Clive Betts and our local councillors.

By the way, Although I don't have a light directly outside my bedroom, I have 2 very close.

I have blackout blinds and blackout linings on all my curtains so the lights don't bother me.

I've had these for years when I worked nights.

Edited by cytine

So you're suggesting one of the world's leading lighting manufacturers are using the wrong LEDs in their luminaries ? Maybe you should contact them to point out their oversight.

No, I am suggesting that the council have used the wrong ones...

If you read post #2 you will see where I am coming from - so I suggest you do your homework before being such an arrogant tw1t

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 18:54 ----------

well its about time someone sued the council:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::roll::roll::roll::loopy::loopy:

plaintif to judge.....my street lights are too bright!! its all the councils fault.

judge - stop wasting the courts time case dismissed.

Been reading some of your other posts - let me guess, you vote UKIP???

Any tattoos? - thought that would be the answer...

If you read post #2 you will see where I am coming from - so I suggest you do your homework before being such an arrogant tw1t

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 18:54 ----------

Been reading some of your other posts - let me guess, you vote UKIP???

Any tattoos? - thought that would be the answer...

:hihi::hihi: ooooh calm down dear and buy some blinds and in answer yes and yes!! that obviously makes me a bad person:huh:.

let me guess you vote lib dem and like to hug a few trees??

oh been reading some of your other posts just for balance you understand?? you really are a serial complainer arnt you??:hihi:

Edited by ab6262

If you read post #2 you will see where I am coming from - so I suggest you do your homework before being such an arrogant tw1t..

Name calling.....how very clever. insults always add to your argument.

If the council are using the wrong ones then logic says the manufacturer must also be using the wrong ones in their product.

Name calling.....how very clever. insults always add to your argument.

If the council are using the wrong ones then logic says the manufacturer must also be using the wrong ones in their product.

Your logic fails - maybe the council has bought the wrong prduct for the planned use.

SCC has a history of false economy - maybe this is yet another instance of it.