New LED street lights

No nothing was considered. The council just went on ebay and picked the cheapest LED bulbs they could find :loopy::rolleyes:

The colour temp is far closer to natural daylight than the stupid orange lighting, they're not at all blue.

Please tell us about what the harmful effects of LED streetlights are.

So you want your streets to be in darkness or a dull orange glow?

What a rude, snide and arrogant reply. I was hoping some one would be able to give me an intelligent answer as to what research the Council had done before embarking on such a wholesale change. Instead I've ended-up with the local moron venting their spleen.

The colour temperature is closer to natural daylight - well spotted! Blue light is a major component of daylight - have you not noticed. There are two main ways to produce white light from an LED, use red, green and blue colours or use a blue LED, with phosphor coating. Blue is a major element of both methods.

The harmful effects of blue light are well documented - I am unsurprised that you are not aware of this.

The yellow lights are dire, but do we really want to turn night into day ?

On the bright side, no one will be suffering from SAD

On our street the new LED lights give much more even lighting than the previous sodium lights. I cannot see the lights as we are above them just the road lit up.

Across Sheffield I can see more areas now LED lit which produce much less light pollution -this is very obvious when foggy and unless you look directly at them the lighting causes much less glare which is important to those of us who use glasses and a cataract.

As the streets are more evenly and better lit the streets feel safer.

Some houses have asked for and had shields fitted.

Well done SCC for planning this. However Amey did take 9 months and dug up their own brand new footpath.

They give uneven lighting, they cause more light pollution, more glare and have basically been implemented to save money - not because they are better.

Classical SCC/Amey reasoning.

They cause much less light pollution actually. and isn't spending less on electricity a good thing?

---------- Post added 08-11-2014 at 22:12 ----------

What a rude, snide and arrogant reply. I was hoping some one would be able to give me an intelligent answer as to what research the Council had done before embarking on such a wholesale change. Instead I've ended-up with the local moron venting their spleen.

Hypocrite much? :hihi:

They give uneven lighting, they cause more light pollution, more glare and have basically been implemented to save money - not because they are better.

Classical SCC/Amey reasoning.

What light source would you suggest should be used ? Taking into account the ever increasing pressures being imposed on local authorities to reduce their energy profiles.

I hate them. On some roads they hardly light the road and the footpaths now seem really dark which I wouldn't like going down in my wheelchair. Then you go down one road and they are in your face bright.

There is a little country rd I went down a couple of week ago which has 5 new LED lights which shire right in your face. From a distance I thought they were flood lights. I can't remember exactly where though

We had new LED street lights fitted on Carterknowle Road, The work started in May this year and still not finished.......Some of the lights have galvanised steel post others are black, what's all that about, poor supervision by whoever's in charge...however, they do have a good spread of light.

I like the white lights. I do a lot of driving at night and prefer them to the orange light as there is a lot more clarity.

I was surprised to find out tho that the lighting panel, without the post, costs £3,000!

I like the white lights. I do a lot of driving at night and prefer them to the orange light as there is a lot more clarity.

I was surprised to find out tho that the lighting panel, without the post, costs £3,000!

Not sure who told you that but it's untrue. Divide it by 10 and you'll be nearer the mark.

I have to say I much prefer the new lights to the old ones, they certainly make it brighter at night.

Regards

Doom

Not sure who told you that but it's untrue. Divide it by 10 and you'll be nearer the mark.

Just going on what a highways chap told me last night at the scene of an incident where a post had been knocked over.

I would think that the £3000 would be the total cost of replacing the light, including being called out to make the damaged one safe etc. Single jobs like that will always cost a lot more than pre-programmed work.

I would think that the £3000 would be the total cost of replacing the light, including being called out to make the damaged one safe etc. Single jobs like that will always cost a lot more than pre-programmed work.

No, he told me the whole cost was about £8000 which I thought was a bit excessive even by council standards!