New LED street lights

Strangely enough Amey also work on behalf of Plymouth City Council and this issue made the press today down there by the looks of it also...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/New-LED-lights-leave-Plymouth-residents-dark/story-24465395-detail/story.html

Rotherham has lead the new LED lighting scheme and with most of their network covered I've not encountered the same problems as in Sheffield. The lights also look to be brighter and spread over a greater distance. Most of their roads are covered from the major arterial routes to the smaller estate roads. Some of the lights have also appeared on the parkway this way over the bridge at Catcliffe.

Went to Scarborough recently and their LED lighting was fantastic, like daylight. Also, on Abbeydale Road South they are amazing. What's the difference? Brighter ones, or just more of them?

Rotherham has lead the new LED lighting scheme and with most of their network covered I've not encountered the same problems as in Sheffield. The lights also look to be brighter and spread over a greater distance. Most of their roads are covered from the major arterial routes to the smaller estate roads. Some of the lights have also appeared on the parkway this way over the bridge at Catcliffe.

You must live in a different Rotherham to me. They have converted quite a few traffic routes but I've seen very little evidence of LEDs on residential roads. Are you confusing them with PL lamps (also a white light source) which Rotherham have quite a lot of ?

That could well be then Rudeboy. Sounds like then. Some funny looking ones have gone up in Rawmarsh recently there is a single strip of LEDs and they look like they will be really dull or not working but I'm amazed at just how much light they actually emit! One on Harding Avenue attached to a concrete lamppost if you're up this way.

I think they are fantastic. A more pleasant ambience, brighter, clearer skies and cheaper in the long run. :)

If anything they are less ambient, they produce a more focused beam.

I do prefer them to the traditional amber ones though.

I far prefer them. You can actually see what colour everything is and it's just more natural. I have no problem driving on streets that use them. I have far more issues with people driving with badly adjusted headlights.

In Sheffield the LED lights are replacing sodium ones on side streets where the light level has never been as high as on the main roads. If you keep your eyes on the road you will see less "pooling" however looking up you can be dazzled by the LED.

Looking across Sheffield it has always been possible to differentiate between main and side roads but now large areas are visible where you can see the roads but not the lights illuminating them.

Some people prefer the light bulbs which were replaced by mercury lights which were replaced by sodium which were replaced by LEDs which will be replaced by...?

Whilst I agree the old yellow lights are dire ,should we be rushing into changes without careful consideration.

What is the temperature of these lights ? Blue light can be harmful to the eyes, older people are less tolerant to this than younger.

What advice has been taken regarding the harmful effects of these lights. Do we really want our residential streets lit up like daylight ?

Just because they are bright and cheap to run does not mean they are an ideal solution.

In Sheffield the LED lights are replacing sodium ones on side streets where the light level has never been as high as on the main roads. If you keep your eyes on the road you will see less "pooling" however looking up you can be dazzled by the LED.

Looking across Sheffield it has always been possible to differentiate between main and side roads but now large areas are visible where you can see the roads but not the lights illuminating them.

Some people prefer the light bulbs which were replaced by mercury lights which were replaced by sodium which were replaced by LEDs which will be replaced by...?

... glow in the dark cats glued along the edges of every road.

If Amey are interested, I've applied for the patent.

i think the leds lights are alot better than the old ones ;-)

Try living with one a few feet from your front window.

Like having a permanent full moon outside

Whilst I agree the old yellow lights are dire ,should we be rushing into changes without careful consideration.

What is the temperature of these lights ? Blue light can be harmful to the eyes, older people are less tolerant to this than younger.

What advice has been taken regarding the harmful effects of these lights. Do we really want our residential streets lit up like daylight ?

Just because they are bright and cheap to run does not mean they are an ideal solution.

No nothing was considered. The council just went on ebay and picked the cheapest LED bulbs they could find :loopy::rolleyes:

The colour temp is far closer to natural daylight than the stupid orange lighting, they're not at all blue.

Please tell us about what the harmful effects of LED streetlights are.

So you want your streets to be in darkness or a dull orange glow?

They give uneven lighting, they cause more light pollution, more glare and have basically been implemented to save money - not because they are better.

Classical SCC/Amey reasoning.