New LED street lights

Typical streetsbehind cockup.

Moved the light from outside the house opposite to directly in front of our bedroom window, with the result that since it has been switched on, I have been suffering from sleep depravation due to the increased light levels and wavelength of the light.

I enquired why they had moved it, and they replied that it was down to obstructions in the street. I asked for more details and they sent the plans.

The plans show a large tree which was taken down nearly a year ago, and yet the lights have only just gone up - so yet again the taxpayer pays for the incompetence of the contractors.

Despite repeated requests, they won't put shades on the light to reduce the internal glare, so I am now looking to start legal proceedings.

Thanks once again SheffieldS*ittyCouncil

i wish they would take the shade of they put on, its totaly not very bright with it on,

Personally I love the new lights as they light up he steps in my garden so we don't need to use an outside light anymore. Only one drawback - they are so bright that my solar lights in the front garden don't work anymore as they don't realise it's night time!

Whereas the lights on nearby roads are like an LED version of older street lights, with a glass diffuser, the ones they have just installed near our house has a square-ish plate, facing down, with an array of 20 odd separate lights. It lights the road and pavement really well, with very little light escaping. It certainly doesn't affect our bedrooms etc. the only light you see is reflected up from the road. No undue light pollution. We're very pleased.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Some of the lighting has been installed for over a year now so it would be good to see the results for electricity use over the period to see if the investment tallies with the expected costs and savings.

The bright light also lights up our bedroom and lounge, don't need to put the lights on.

I find it far too bright, do the council provide shields which could be attached to the lights? so I can get a decent nights sleep.

Pair of curtains?

how long does it take them to fill in the hole once the new lamp has been installed, lamp outside friends house is slowly turning into a rubbish dump and the fencing they have put round it keeps falling over into the street.

Some of the lighting has been installed for over a year now so it would be good to see the results for electricity use over the period to see if the investment tallies with the expected costs and savings.

There isn't really any question that LED saves a ton of money on electricity.

At home in the living room I went from two 100W classic bulbs, to two 36W CFL that constantly failed, to four 10W LED arrays that light the room far better than any of the previous bulbs. The savings are pretty immediate.

The question is how well they age over the 25 years they are meant to last between replacements.

LEDs like CFLs get dimmer as they age, so it could be in 10 years time on the top brightness they are TOO dim and need replacing. For the street lighting that would obviously be a big deal.

Edited by AlexAtkin

how long does it take them to fill in the hole once the new lamp has been installed, lamp outside friends house is slowly turning into a rubbish dump and the fencing they have put round it keeps falling over into the street.

It's a shambles. They dug the holes for the new columns on my road in April and then just left them surrounded by plastic barriers that keep blowing over. They didn't come back to install the columns until the end of June, apparently this was due to a delay in receiving the correct height columns from the manufacturers. Once they were finally in, they dug even bigger holes to get to the electricity supply, but then disappeared again until yesterday. As I said this earlier, this time the delay was receiving the correct lanterns. Yet they've fitted the old sodium lights, so as someone suggested, they still haven't got the correct lanterns.

If they haven't got all the equipment, why start work? The road has been a mess for 4 months. I don't know who the suppliers of the LED lights are, but I doubt very much they take 4 months to deliver. All the equipment they need should have been calculated and ordered well before starting work. It seems there's no planning and they make it up as they go along.

The road I live on was started before last years summer holidays and was completed by the end of January this year. All looks great now but the smooth tarmac made for slippy conditions with frost and ice.

Because of the brighter light, I've fitted new curtains with a black out lining which work very well.

There isn't really any question that LED saves a ton of money on electricity.

At home in the living room I went from two 100W classic bulbs, to two 36W CFL that constantly failed, to four 10W LED arrays that light the room far better than any of the previous bulbs. The savings are pretty immediate.

The question is how well they age over the 25 years they are meant to last between replacements.

LEDs like CFLs get dimmer as they age, so it could be in 10 years time on the top brightness they are TOO dim and need replacing. For the street lighting that would obviously be a big deal.

The savings on electricity in a domestic scenario are immediate, but quite small. And the cost of buying LED bulbs is quite high.

I think I worked out the repayment period once and it's over a year!