New LED street lights

I can't work out their plan for installing. They've installed quite a few in the city centre near me however it seems completely random. On the same road there might be two new streetlights and the rest have been left :confused:

Wouldn't be suprised to hear that it's something to do with the way existing lights are wired together but that's just a guess on my part. Why not ring them and give details of where this has been done and ask them why, then you could come back on here and let us all know to save more people querying it

Wouldn't be suprised to hear that it's something to do with the way existing lights are wired together but that's just a guess on my part. Why not ring them and give details of where this has been done and ask them why, then you could come back on here and let us all know to save more people querying it

I'll drop them an email, they usually reply eventually. The new lights are better imo. Not as bright as daylight but you forget they're there.

Havnt seen any yet my self but I have been installing led spot lights in houses for the past year now and if there anything like them then your in for a treat.

Got to admit i'm a bit concerned, new street light pole went in today, its about 1 foot closer to my bedroom window than the old light and about 5 foot higher, the old light is just below the level of my bedroom window, looks like the new one will be level with the top of the window and about 2 foot away.

How bright are these things ? lol

Got to admit i'm a bit concerned, new street light pole went in today, its about 1 foot closer to my bedroom window than the old light and about 5 foot higher, the old light is just below the level of my bedroom window, looks like the new one will be level with the top of the window and about 2 foot away.

As you drive down the street, you are aware of unevenly spaced, dull pools of cold white light. If you dare to look up as you drive past one, you are almost guaranteed to suffer scarred retinas! :o

I'd be curious to know if any other residential roads are just having the lights put in on one side of the road. I'm wondering as on one road at Woodseats they have removed two of the four lights to the other side of the road meaning that there is one side now which will only have two lights in 300 yards or more. So with the amount of parked vehicles I think the poorly lit side of the road is going to be dangerous

They reduced the overall number of streetlights on our road last year - and the road at night is far darker now - not great when you have the number of parked cars on the road (and not very well parked!). If you're very close/under the light you're ok, but it feels like a series of spotlights, interspersed with darkness... the previous orange glow was more widely spread (and as it was significantly lower, was better for driving too). It just makes roads with these seem gloomier at night...

I appreciate in some areas though these will be seen as an improvement, depends on what you had before.

Compared to the pink high powered ones I can see why people might see them as a bit of a downgrade (although personally I prefer the more natural light) but they are infinitely better than the old orange ones.

Its probably just something you have to get used to. I have had daylight bulbs at home for many years now and fairly recently switched to LEDs which do seem to glare more (due to more light coming from a smaller area), but you get used to it. Overall you get less eye strain from them and more importantly they help to keep you awake/alert, something you want when people are driving.

I certainly understand why people find them harsh, but that is EXACTLY what you want at night, something that keeps you alert rather than falling asleep at the wheel or not noticing that guy about to mug you. It certainly feels much more comfortable cycling under the new lights.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Fracking bright!!! It's like being in the Truman show! They are too tall and too bright. They should be able to dim them but that bit doesn't work!!

Does anyone know when they're turning these lights on Fleury Road? They seem to have installed them all, and they're there next to the old ones...but they've only turned one on. The rest are just the normal orange.

Been like that for weeks.

It seems it's down to a matter of personal opinion. Some like them, others don't. Some think they're too bright, some think they're not bright enough. Due to the pressure on everyone to consume less energy, LED's are the way forward, until someone invents a more efficient light source.

Does anyone know when they're turning these lights on Fleury Road? They seem to have installed them all, and they're there next to the old ones...but they've only turned one on. The rest are just the normal orange.

Been like that for weeks.

I'd imagine that although the new columns are in place the wiring isn't done yet and it looks as though from the map work is due to start in October this year in the valley so assume the trenches for swapping the power over will be done just before the actual resurfacing is due to start

I'd imagine that although the new columns are in place the wiring isn't done yet and it looks as though from the map work is due to start in October this year in the valley so assume the trenches for swapping the power over will be done just before the actual resurfacing is due to start

Thanks! .