New LED street lights

Anyone know if they're installing these on Fleury Road? They're digging holes next to all the old streetlights so I assume so but I don't know if they'll be LED.

They will be LED.

"This is new to me: LED streetlights can allegedly damage people’s brains.

Sure they do :loopy: Post a report from a scientifically objective website or something that has been published in a scientific journal.

I have read about blue tinted light being damaging for your eyes, but only really in high intensity which LEDs are not. Basically, so-called daylight compact fluorescents are too blue and missing the parts of the light spectrum that are most helpful for being able to see clearly.

However normal CFLs are also too far down the red end of the spectrum, not harmful but also not ideal for reading, anything that needs colour accuracy (ie photography, artwork, etc) or keeping you awake. You are better off somewhere between 3000K (kitchen fluorescent lights are usually this) and 4000K. LEDs are usually around 5000K-6000K which is a little blue but not really an issue, its the 6500K CFLs that hurt your eyes.

There is also the argument that being a bluer tint around 5000K+ keep you awake. That is hardly a negative if you are driving now is it. ;)

At the end of the day, its always been clear to me that classic street lights are too warm, comforting and make it really awkward to see when everything is orange. They make you sleepy and if you are driving that is the LAST thing you want.

Edited by AlexAtkin

We have the new street lights at HIGH GREEN.We had 5 of the old ones but now have only 3 new ones on our close.They don't seem to be as obvious. We have only had them working a few days so I am still not 100% decided on them yet.

There now installed along Moss Way S20, they look good from a distance but when the car enters their "footprint" or pool of light, the glare from the source is intense even when not looking directly at them so I flip down my visor.

Does anyone know when they are putting them around hackenthorpe? I think they are fab.

I'd be curious to know if any other residential roads are just having the lights put in on one side of the road. I'm wondering as on one road at Woodseats they have removed two of the four lights to the other side of the road meaning that there is one side now which will only have two lights in 300 yards or more. So with the amount of parked vehicles I think the poorly lit side of the road is going to be dangerous

I live in High Green and they look absolutely fabulous a lot brighter and may I say ........ A little futuristic! A lot brighter thank you Amey!!!

I like the idea of white light rather than the depressing orange sodium lamps we have now.

It's fantastic,

The big problem with sodium lamps was trying to distinguish green rizla packets from red ones.

It's a very narrow spectrum indeed.

I can't work out their plan for installing. They've installed quite a few in the city centre near me however it seems completely random. On the same road there might be two new streetlights and the rest have been left :confused: