New LED street lights

.........., but dark on the parts where there's no lighting.

Can't argue with that!

I can definitely see more stars since they switched to LED. Its really a matter of how close you are to the lights.

Obviously if you are right underneath one its an issue, but then surely most houses will have at least one window above the lights you can look to the sky from?

Complaining that we have the right to see the same sky from the city as in the countryside is moronic, of course we don't. Lighting has ALWAYS impeded the night sky in the city, but my experience is definitely that it has improved not gotten worse.

Guest makapaka

We live in a massive city - if you're into star gazing of a night you're not ideally situated.

Gee whizz....

Maybe they should do away with lights so we can all look at the stars and bump into each other whilst walking around and complaining about road accidents and burglars etc.

What is wrong with people?

We live in a massive city - if you're into star gazing of a night you're not ideally situated.

Gee whizz....

Maybe they should do away with lights so we can all look at the stars and bump into each other whilst walking around and complaining about road accidents and burglars etc.

I think there is a general feeling of disappointment with the new lighting bearing in mind the effort that went in to installing it. Got to agree with the light/dark effect making some smaller roads look like giant zebra crossings, the one outside my house must be turned down as it is not as bright as others just adding to the gloom. One other effect I have noticed is when driving at night in certain situations at junctions you cannot tell if it's a cars headlights or a street lamp shining on road but this can lead to more care at junctions or being delayed more at junctions depending on whether you are a half full or half empty person. As for the stars I don't really care but if I did I would look out of the back window.

Gee whizz....

Sheffield is the smallest of five cities I have lived in, it doesn't even have an underground subway or ikea. Its light pollution is pretty bad but thankfully Sheffield does not come even close to the intense light globe you see over a real massive city. Sheffield is the first city I started to appreciate the beauty of the stars, but if you are in city centre there is a small area of light pollution that is just as bad as all other cities out there.

Edited by dutch

I don't think the dark/light patches are massively different to the old lights, its just that being a white light you can actually see it so much more clearly now. Before, the colour of the light obscured everything.

Its WAY easier to see pot holes and if that thing in the middle of the pavement is mud or dog poo. I find its way more comfortable walking around at night, even more when cycling. As it was completely impossible to identify pot holes before, until you were already about to hit them.

Correct these new lights do point downwards straight in my bedroom we have blinds and curtains up and when we go to bed ,we need a pair of sunglasses

Surely this can't be right we can't sleep for them anyone else having problems.?

The lamp post is only 12 ft away from my window good old Amy thought and consideration yet again for people we have never had a light there before in over 85 years so why now

Edited by jacklev1

Correct these new lights do point downwards straight in my bedroom we have blinds and curtains up and when we go to bed ,we need a pair of sunglasses

Surely this can't be right we can't sleep for them anyone else having problems.?

The lamp post is only 12 ft away from my window good old Amy thought and consideration yet again for people we have never had a light there before in over 85 years so why now

If you ask, they will shade it for you - in my experience.

I was disappointed they missed the opportunity to install colour-changing LEDs. Imagine.

I really do like the new LED lights nothing to complain from me much more brighter and I also feel safer walking at night

How is everyone finding these new street lights now that they are everywhere? I often finding it very difficult to see pedestrians because the lights make very defined puddles of bright light that walkers move in and out of. The older lights were much more diffused and while they weren't as bright they seems to give much more even illumination so that you could see things more easily.

I love them. They are a lot less gloomy, allow much better night vision and I can see the stars far better. Added to that they use less energy. From some of the comments on here about not being able to see well with them, or mistaking them for headlights, it sounds as though there might be lot of people who don't have very good/safe night vision.