New LED street lights

Maybe we should return a few streets to the gas lamps we had 60 years ago, just for comparison purposes.

Personally, I think the new lights are the best I've seen in my lifetime, even though I could probably read a book in our front bedroom with the curtains open. Looking out across the city, as we can, it's looking darker, so clearly the light is going down, and not up as much as it used to.

It's illegal to not use fog lights in the fog you know... (if it's below a certain visibility distance and properly foggy of course).

I'd love to know which the legislation is that you think says this and how properly foggy is defined in it.

It's illegal to not use fog lights in the fog you know... (if it's below a certain visibility distance and properly foggy of course).

I'd love to know which the legislation is that you think says this and how properly foggy is defined in it.

The Highway Code Rule 226 says you do have to use headlights in low visibility, but fog lights aren't compulsory:

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Edited by vincentb
fixing URL link markup

Since a new LED street lamp has been fitted to replace the traditional well shaded yellow bulbed one that used to be in the site we can no longer see the stars in the sky at night. This may not be much of concern to the council but they have taken away my view of the night sky. On holiday I can see the same stars and although we are what may be classed as urban the sky was always visable the same. I feel that the lamps have been put up purely to guard the units and factory across the road ane improved visability from the sky and cameras ( to protect us from what?? ).

We have has no burglary or theft on this side of the road for 25years+ there is no need for safety lights we can install them ourselves if need be and they are not as intrusive as the new LED lighting either.

I feel so upset I want to sell my house and move, we don't have night time anymore thankyou for taking away my right to see the sky.

I would like to start a campaign to at least dim the lights or change the shades. If you don't think it's a big deal to be able to enjoy the same view as somebody in the country then I think you have lost touch with the world you live in.

I want my stars back!!! Fight for the right!!!

The new street lamps have improved the visibility of the night sky on my street? Conversely, it's a bit darker at the actual street level itself between the lights, because the light doesn't seem to illuminate so far.

The new street lamps have improved the visibility of the night sky on my street? Conversely, it's a bit darker at the actual street level itself between the lights, because the light doesn't seem to illuminate so far.

What he said. My house is 3 stories, so the bedrooms are above the street lamps. I can see far more stars than I could when we had the old sodium lamps, (which scattered light everywhere).

Since a new LED street lamp has been fitted to replace the traditional well shaded yellow bulbed one that used to be in the site we can no longer see the stars in the sky at night. This may not be much of concern to the council but they have taken away my view of the night sky. On holiday I can see the same stars and although we are what may be classed as urban the sky was always visable the same. I feel that the lamps have been put up purely to guard the units and factory across the road ane improved visability from the sky and cameras ( to protect us from what?? ).

We have has no burglary or theft on this side of the road for 25years+ there is no need for safety lights we can install them ourselves if need be and they are not as intrusive as the new LED lighting either.

I feel so upset I want to sell my house and move, we don't have night time anymore thankyou for taking away my right to see the sky.

I would like to start a campaign to at least dim the lights or change the shades. If you don't think it's a big deal to be able to enjoy the same view as somebody in the country then I think you have lost touch with the world you live in.

I want my stars back!!! Fight for the right!!!

Have you actually contacted the council about this? Might be a bit more productive than moaning on here.

I understand that the brightness of the new LD lights can be varied, so it may be they can turn that one down a bit. A call to 0114 2734567 might be productive.

Have you actually contacted the council about this? Might be a bit more productive than moaning on here.

I understand that the brightness of the new LD lights can be varied, so it may be they can turn that one down a bit. A call to 0114 2734567 might be productive.

Doubt it - asked them to turn the ones outside my house down a year ago and if anything, they seem brighter, although my light meter says they are the same intensity...

Maybe it is just that I am becoming more affected by LEDs - as is most wildlife - http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/05/sea-change-night-lighting-poses-threats-to-wildlife-and-to-us/

and as are humans

https://wellnessmama.com/15730/orange-sunglasses/

Although the SCC dispute all these reports...

But who am I to dispute the powers that be - after all, all I do is pay their wages!

I'm sure I read in the New Scientist that light pollution measured from space is worse since LED street lighting started being installed. I can't recall the article saying this was due to more streets around the world installing street lighting. This isn't what I had expected as I find the new lights in our village very bright around the light but then very dark between the lights. I can see why they have been changed over but I don't think you can just switch the bulbs and leave the lights the same distance as previously. I don't find it good from a pedestrians point of view.

Doubt it - asked them to turn the ones outside my house down a year ago and if anything, they seem brighter, although my light meter says they are the same intensity...

Maybe it is just that I am becoming more affected by LEDs - as is most wildlife - http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/05/sea-change-night-lighting-poses-threats-to-wildlife-and-to-us/

and as are humans

https://wellnessmama.com/15730/orange-sunglasses/

Although the SCC dispute all these reports...

Its not surprising that they dispute them especially the misinformation in the second link. Most of what is alleged is just pseudoscience with very little data to back it up.

Quote, apparently from Harvard medical School:

"Study after study has linked working the night shift and exposure to light at night to several types of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity."

:roll:

---------- Post added 13-02-2017 at 22:16 ----------

I don't find it good from a pedestrians point of view.

Just installed them in my area and must admit I agree. However I'm a bit miffed as there was a sodium light about 4M from my bedroom window which gave a glow. Now its been replaced with a LED I now have to turn the light on at night when I get up for a wee.

Since a new LED street lamp has been fitted to replace the traditional well shaded yellow bulbed one that used to be in the site we can no longer see the stars in the sky at night. This may not be much of concern to the council but they have taken away my view of the night sky.

This was the first thing I noticed too. I used to be able to look up at the stars from my back yard but it's just too bright now. It's like aliens are landing!

I definitely preferred the old ones. They had a nice warm glow to them and also looked better from a distance.

It's bright by the houses, but dark on the parts where there's no lighting.