New LED street lights

Course they will...

... they won't leave a job half finished! ;)

They have all over Sheffield!

Holes dug & left.

Granma.

The new lights are rubbish, there is a new one in a car park across from where I live, it shines on one car, :hihi: and the other ten cars in the same car park are in darkness, the old orange light beforehand lit up the whole car park. :huh:

Appologies for bumping an old thread.

Does anyone know if every single light is being replaced with the LED type ones across the city?

I had assumed that was the plan??

I've seen a couple going up recently that have the old orange style bulb in them, I thought we were doing away with those????

All I can say is untill you have one of the lights outside your bedroom window and cant sleep because your bedroom resembles Blackpool dont comment, that along with the mess Amey leave behind and yes ive rung and reported Amey.:mad:

Appologies for bumping an old thread.

Does anyone know if every single light is being replaced with the LED type ones across the city?

I had assumed that was the plan??

I've seen a couple going up recently that have the old orange style bulb in them, I thought we were doing away with those????

I may be WILDLY wrong here, but I think the new ones have to be wired differently to the old ones, which is why any being replaced that are not in a new lamp area get the orange ones.

(I may have dreamed all the above, so don't take it as gospel!)

So Amey are not actually replacing all the streetlights with LED ones then??

They make no mention of that on the streets ahead site?

They've fitted old ones temporarily in many areas while they waited for some more LED lights from the manufacturer. They were replaced by LEDs a few weeks later.

Seems better to do this than leave the old lamp posts wired up, because until they remove those they can't fill all the holes in.

ah I see, I had wondered if there was a supply issue as other people had mentioned it a while back.

We've got LED streetlights in our street now and they're pretty good to be fair. Plus I think the old lights were really unrealiable comparatively - there was constantly a number of them not working. I suppose only time will tell if these new ones are a success.

And the one outside my window doesn't have an affect when the curtains are shut.

I'm not sure about the reliability of the new ones either though.

They should be more reliable, but I do not believe Amey are doing their jobs right.

In every area they have installed the new ones there have been several not working, leaving dark spots. But its my understand they were NOT supposed to disconnect the old lights until all the new ones replacing them are working.

Also if you look at the new poles, there is a minimum installation depth marker. I have seen them about six inches above ground level, and other people have reported that (as they did outside my house) they sometimes cut the bottom of the pole off to give the illusion they sunk them deep enough.

I'm pretty scared of days with high winds now, knowing they aren't sinking the poles deep enough.

I think your right about the height, they're much taller than the old ones. I raised this with them before they installed them and will keep a copy of their written response just in case they do succumb to high winds etc..

If the level of light is above the limit then they will fit a shade, however they don't fit properly so now it looks like a spotlight shining through a letterbox. It would be really good if Amey did their own quality control.

I think your right about the height, they're much taller than the old ones. I raised this with them before they installed them and will keep a copy of their written response just in case they do succumb to high winds etc..

If the level of light is above the limit then they will fit a shade, however they don't fit properly so now it looks like a spotlight shining through a letterbox. It would be really good if Amey did their own quality control.

They are supposed to be taller due to LEDs emitting a more directed beam of light so they need to be taller for that light to cover the same area.

The problem is that also means the poles have to be sunk deeper and from what I have seen Amey aren't bothering to do it to the correct standard.

Think that can't happen? Well, it wouldn't be the first time.

The difference being I haven't seen any evidence of Amey being questioned about this, and its even more dangerous on the ones where the bottom is chopped off so you can't see they weren't sunk deep enough without digging them up.

Edited by AlexAtkin