New LED street lights

From what I've seen of the new LED street lights, I really like 'em. Even Loxley Valley has received the 21st century lighting upgrade... RIP low pressure sodium street lights - never did like those horrible looking things.

Sheffield will be visible from space soon :hihi:

New columns went in a few weeks back now but they haven't had their heads attacjed in most cases and the old lamps are still in and working. However they are now in the process of ripping up the old pavements and putting down the under lying first course which means that it will have to be dug up again to wire in the new lights and remove the old light columns. So on Monday I'm going to be contacting the guy in charge of my area to ask what the are up to as either the people in charge of co-ordinating the works has made a boo boo or the are again struggling to have enough qualified electricians on the job. I'm going to give them a gentle nudge just in case some bright spark sends in a team to actually put the final top coat on the pavement before the electrical works are done and the old columns removed.

---------- Post added 01-02-2014 at 23:55 ----------

I have a new street light outside my house. It's been there 13 months and looks very elegant, unfortunately it's never been switched on. Our street is total darkness at night,not one single street light on, not even the remaining old ones. With the massive pot holes in the road it's a nightmare trying to avoid falling into one when crossing the street at night.

I'd be really interested to know what the response was from the council when you reported the light 12 months ago and no doubt on some more recent occasions as well.

Great aren't they, and they are all networked up which is fantastic for when the government decide they want to stick cameras and mic's in them to keep tabs on every body :suspect:

Sheffield will be visible from space soon :hihi:

Actually one of the points is to do the opposite. They're supposed to cut down on light pollution into the sky.

Great aren't they, and they are all networked up which is fantastic for when the government decide they want to stick cameras and mic's in them to keep tabs on every body.

You go and put that tin foil hat back on.

Is it still the case that all streets will get LED lights? On my road the new columns were installed 7 weeks ago and no further work was done until today, leaving big trenches in the pavements for all that time. I emailed last week to ask why there was such a delay and they said it was due to a delay receiving the lanterns and that they have now arrived and will be fitted shortly.

Today, the columns were finally fitted with lanterns, except they're the old halogen lights and they don't look brand new either. One has been fitted with a really old sodium light. I thought the whole point of installing the new columns was to fit LED lights which are more efficient, every other street in the area has been fitted with these.

I think someone might have told you a little porky

They've been putting up older lanterns all over the place and quite a few columns that aren't painted black so they must be running out of equipment

The whole point of the scheme was to replace them ALL with LEDs due to the colour, that they are dimmable and use less electricity.

All I can think is that they may be temporarily replacing some with older designs so they can at least get the infrastructure in and just swap the heads when the LEDs come in stock.

We got them last week.i love them gives the street a nice moonlit glow.also lights up the patio on our side.So quite impressed.

One right outside. Had to brick-up the upstairs window.

The bright light also lights up our bedroom and lounge, don't need to put the lights on.

I find it far too bright, do the council provide shields which could be attached to the lights? so I can get a decent nights sleep.

yes you can get a diffuser fitted to them to stop the glare

we have a lamp outside our house and they fitted a diffuser to stop the glare to the house

but it as made it not as bright,the old lamp was better