Spar, broomhill

They can all jostle for position as much as they want. Folk are seeing sense (i.e., that they're constantly being ripped off by Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury and the like) and taking their business to Aldi and Lidl.

Definitely it's happening - walked past and saw it all boarded up today. I think a Morrisons is better than a Spar but agree don't know why Broomhill needs another small supermarket.

Did the Spar used to be Summerfield?

I remember trying to spend as little as possible in there when I was a student. This usually led to me doing my weekly food shop at 3PM on Sunday afternoon, so I could get all the food that they had heavily discounted.

Did the Spar used to be Summerfield?

I remember trying to spend as little as possible in there when I was a student. This usually led to me doing my weekly food shop at 3PM on Sunday afternoon, so I could get all the food that they had heavily discounted.

I remember it as Sommerfield when I resided in Ranmoor Hell

Great, another crap and expensive 'convenience' store selling all the same products as the others but with different labels. If business rates were reduced then maybe we could get some independent shops back.

Great, another crap and expensive 'convenience' store selling all the same products as the others but with different labels. If business rates were reduced then maybe we could get some independent shops back.

Is that really what's needed, or is it a bit of gumption from small traders?

Case in point - BeerCentral in the Moor Market. Naysayers said he'd never get away with charging £3.95 for bottles of beer when you could get 3 for a fiver in Sainsburys. One year on and he's just sold his 50,000th bottle of beer. That's some turnover and it's also testament to identifying a market and going for it and not listening to the same old boring farts who bang on about price but never mention quality.

"If you provide it, they will come" (or other such mystical bullplop)

Consumers are getting exactly what they deserve/ have created.

It was common knowledge along time ago that the giant supermarkets planned to open huge discount supermarkets to entice custom away from the local shops.

Now the local businesses have gone, the supermarkets are simply taking their places, and charging you whatever they like.

Next step - close the big 'discount' supermarkets so you have to use the expensive 'local' shop.

These things don't happen by coincidence, take the fact that they don't require any change of use consent to turn an empty local pub into a Tesco/Asda etc.

do they still have the big issue men outside that used to harrass you?

There's the Sainsburys, Select & Save down Glossop Road, and an off license that sells some grocery stuff all there within a 1 minute walk. And the Tesco a little but further down Fulwood Road. Now this new Morrisons. How can they all do enough trade?

Edited by Stan Tamudo

I remember it as Sommerfield when I resided in Ranmoor Hell

I remember it as Mac Market back in the late 1970s, IIRC.

I remember it as Mac Market back in the late 1970s, IIRC.

Yep, Mac Market and Mac Fisheries before I believe!

Next incarnation - M Local :)