Ancestry - help needed please

A bit cheeky I know but has anyone got free access to marriage records for 1893?

I am trying to find further details of my ancestors John Blakeley and Annie Goodison who married in Sheffield in 1893.

Many thanks for any help

yes what do you want to know.

john blakeley seems to be only listed on the 1901 census as Blakeley prior to that it seems to be Blake ( the occupation as basket weaver was a big clue )

You will need to buy the marriage certificate to get the info you want. Its reference is March quarter 1893 Sheffield 9 c 440 & john is named John Blakeley. You can see that yourself on FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

To buy it on line go here http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Or apply in person to Sheffield Register Office ; cost will be £9.25 or thereabouts .

Unfortunately if you want to do family history you can't get out of buying certificates partricularly for marriages as the detailed info on them is nowhere else unless you know the church they would be married in , in which case you could try to look at church registers.

Edited by johnpm

familysearch.org, another free site has some copies of the actual certificate. Admittedly not many, but I got lucky with one of mine, which saved me £9.25.

Also it is worth mentioning that two marriage certificates I sent for had no father's names for either bride or groom. A waste of £18.50. The GRO told me that it wasn't mandatory for the father to be named, which surprised me.

Another possibility, if the marriage was local, is to try Sheffield Archives. They may have the original registers, or copies on microfilm.

Yet another possibility is Freereg, but this is quite sparse at the moment, still worth having a look.

Just thought of another free site, Sheffield Indexers.

Edited by Minimo
Added information

Also free is freebmd for births marriages and deaths.

the Goodison family tree is allready listed on Ancestry

But Ancestry is not free.

It is a very good site but is subscription only (£100+ per annum)

Take a look at British Newspaper archive to see if there was any record in the paper. It might give you some info regarding in which church the wedding took place. Some of the church records are in the local archives.

Findmypast has free access this week-end. That should be of some help.

From midday, Friday November 7th to midday on Monday, November 10th (GMT), you’ll be able to access:

• Global record sets that include census, birth, marriage, death and travel records amongst many more

• Historical newspapers stretching as far back as 1710

• Military records, including our WW1 collections, so that everyone has the chance to trace their family this Remembrance weekend

---------- Post added 05-11-2014 at 14:14 ----------

But Ancestry is not free.

It is a very good site but is subscription only (£100+ per annum)

You can get 1 month free if you are a new subscriber.