Up and coming areas

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by amazon123

Firstly: I am not impartial!

When we moved here from the Netherlands (2007) we had a set of criteria: Not too far from the University, decent availability of decent housing, good direct transport links to the Uni and the city as well as (God save me) Meadowhall, near a reasonable shopping area and with scope for growth of house-prices, possibly based on a strong rental market.

We considered a number of areas, Walkley/Crookes due to the vicinity to the city but (at the time) dismissed them as being too student heavy. We considered around Chesterfield Road (Meersbrook/Woodseats) but dismissed it due to a lack of transport links. The same conclusion was arrived at for Netheredge/Sharrow because by this time we had discovered the tram.

So we chose Hillsborough and apart from maybe Sharrow I think we got it right. Excellent transport links both for public transport and by car to the city, very near countryside for brazing Sunday walks. Back then we got hit by the economic crisis and saw the value of our house plummet, but it has come back up strongly in the past couple of years and although not certain we do expect it to be worth more now than we paid for it when we started off.

Hillsborough is a likely candidate for improvement in the long term, so in my opinion, can't go wrong!

Waverley, Catcliffe area is the up and coming new area at the minute.. They reckon it will be completely finished in the next ten years, including a new school, doctors, etc... They're are quite a few houses that have been built now and the pub on the end of the village is finished and open.. Lovely food I must say!! But that is the new village that is being built at the moment in sheffield.

So long as they don't re-open the airport thats right across the road anyway (very unlikely they will)

Meersbrook is pretty good, if you dont mind walking down to Chesterfield Rd to catch the bus. All the busses will get you to town via the Moor or to the bus station via Queens Road. (from which you can also catch the purple and blue trams from near the college)

The houses hold their value and the people are pretty decent. We've not had many issues and the primary schools are excellent.

The houses around here, for the most part, dont sit on the market very long. Even at the worst part of the downturn, houses were sold within 6 weeks from coming to market.

Firstly: I am not impartial!

When we moved here from the Netherlands (2007) we had a set of criteria: Not too far from the University, decent availability of decent housing, good direct transport links to the Uni and the city as well as (God save me) Meadowhall, near a reasonable shopping area and with scope for growth of house-prices, possibly based on a strong rental market.

We considered a number of areas, Walkley/Crookes due to the vicinity to the city but (at the time) dismissed them as being too student heavy. We considered around Chesterfield Road (Meersbrook/Woodseats) but dismissed it due to a lack of transport links. The same conclusion was arrived at for Netheredge/Sharrow because by this time we had discovered the tram.

So we chose Hillsborough and apart from maybe Sharrow I think we got it right. Excellent transport links both for public transport and by car to the city, very near countryside for brazing Sunday walks. Back then we got hit by the economic crisis and saw the value of our house plummet, but it has come back up strongly in the past couple of years and although not certain we do expect it to be worth more now than we paid for it when we started off.

Hillsborough is a likely candidate for improvement in the long term, so in my opinion, can't go wrong!

Hillsborough is ok Tim but many of the residential roads are lined with cars on both sides with only room for one way traffic down the centre. The area between Wisewood and Malin Bridge is the worst for this.

Kelham Island will be a great place to live in the 3-5 years massive regeneration planned and in the heart of the city.

Kelham Island will be a great place to live in the 3-5 years massive regeneration planned and in the heart of the city.

I have to agree Kelham Island is looking good, i was down there yesterday and the neighbourhood is coming on nicely.

sharrow is getting better and better, kelham island but rents / sales are expensive.

Agree with Meersbrook too - Meersbrook was a bit rubbish a few years ago but

they are getting some decent shops and cafes around the chessy road area and rents /sales are rising but still fairly low.

---------- Post added 05-11-2014 at 14:15 ----------

horses for courses though. Some people like south side, some like north side. Depends who you are and what size family you have.

I'm not really sure there's any such thing. There are areas like Hillsborough which are sold as this, because they are decent neighbourhoods with lots of owner occupiers who seek to improve the value of their houses before moving on mostly to the same old places in S10/11 which have good schools.

Kelham Island is THE place at the moment, lots happening, close to the centre, good transport links, but much quieter and tranquil and you can park your car!

Yeah, Catcliffe for families and good transport and it's inexpensive £140K for a 3 bedroomed house with garage and garden.