Draining Damflask Reservoir

You're not entirely wrong by saying the water being pumped up from Meadowhall to Dam Flask although it didn't actually go into the dam.

Way back in the 1930s and 40s when the rivers were low they had to keep them at a certain level for the steelworks so the vales were opened up at 5 o'clock in the morning for the excess water to be pumped up from Blackburn Meadows of all places to a large concrete bowl near the Dam Flask. You used to get young lads swimming in it in summer but was told to get out for their healths sake. The water was eventually released into the rivers sometimes killing the fish, I don't think it would be allowed today.

You can still see this huge concret bowl today and the little brick hut across a small bridge were the valves were turned on.

There were also a timber filter station built for the Dam Flask at the end of Stacey Lane but never used. When it was knocked down in the late 1940s the filter equipment was all transferred to Ewden Bank. Some of the teak timber that covered the pipes still exists . . .I've got it.

Thanks for that. I had wondered what that big structure was for.

Are there an photos existing of the building of Damflask?

Did they build railway line when they were constructing dam?

Edited by markfor

Probably better posting this in the Sheffield History & Expats section.

Is it true that there is ruins of an old village with a church under the water at Damflask? I find that eery.

Lady bower res has a church and a small village can be seen at low water in a prolonged dry summer spell Markus

No that's Ladybower but think they knocked the church steeple down some years ago for safety reasons. Village was Derwent. Can still see some of remains of Derwent Hall when dam is low.

Damflask hamlet was destroyed by the Dale Dyke flood and not by building Damflask. Four workers were killed at the mill.

Good maps and overlays here

Maps: Damflask 1855a and 1855b

Damflask 1891a and 1891b

Eweden valley railway/tramway

1924http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345190

maybe its summat to do with the flood plains being created.