Draining Damflask Reservoir

Does anyone know what they're doing at Damflask? The water level has been let to drop really low; can't see anything elsewhere on the internet about it. Is it routine maintenance, or is there a problem at the dam wall?

The Damflask reservoir levels, rise and fall due to rain fall levels. There is two pump houses on the dam wall that feeds the Loxley river. There's a massive amount of water in the reservoir and I think it's about 80 ft deep in places.

Edited by Estefan

most of the reservoirs along the snake / woodhead pass are look low at the moment. its because it's not been raining.

I've been trying to find some photo's from 2003 when the water level at Damflask was the lowest I've ever seen. If you have a walk around the dam there's a few photo's from 2003 on the notice boards.

Damflask Reservoir is used to control the level of water in the river Don and is not used for drinking water. In the summer when water levels are low water is pumped from Meadowhall back to Damflask. In the winter water can be stored to prevent flooding- another reason for the water level to be allowed to be low.

Damflask Reservoir is used to control the level of water in the river Don and is not used for drinking water. In the summer when water levels are low water is pumped from Meadowhall back to Damflask. In the winter water can be stored to prevent flooding- another reason for the water level to be allowed to be low.

Sorry to correct you but water does not get pumped back to Damflask from Meadowhall at all. They do pump water from Meadowhall back into the water system when supplies run low from the Pennine area but not to Damflask.

I had a walk around Damflask today and the water level is low. The Pike anglers seem to like it, quite a few of them fishing today.

I was fishing dam flask today. The water level has been very high for the past couple of years restricting bank space so it's nice to fish my favourite spots again.

I was fishing dam flask today. The water level has been very high for the past couple of years restricting bank space so it's nice to fish my favourite spots again.

You catch much?

You're not entirely wrong by saying the water being pumped up from Meadowhall to Dam Flask although it didn't actually go into the dam.

Way back in the 1930s and 40s when the rivers were low they had to keep them at a certain level for the steelworks so the vales were opened up at 5 o'clock in the morning for the excess water to be pumped up from Blackburn Meadows of all places to a large concrete bowl near the Dam Flask. You used to get young lads swimming in it in summer but was told to get out for their healths sake. The water was eventually released into the rivers sometimes killing the fish, I don't think it would be allowed today.

You can still see this huge concret bowl today and the little brick hut across a small bridge were the valves were turned on.

There were also a timber filter station built for the Dam Flask at the end of Stacey Lane but never used. When it was knocked down in the late 1940s the filter equipment was all transferred to Ewden Bank. Some of the teak timber that covered the pipes still exists . . .I've got it.

Every cloud has a silver lining eh Wag?